Drivers door will not open

Jaredo7

So i have a 1990 accord ex with just over 270k. I went to my car this morning unlocked it started it up to warm it up and when i shut the door i didnt shut it all the way, just one click i guess you could say. thought no big deal and went back inside. When i came back to my car the drivers door would not open. almost as if it were locked. i slammed it shut the rest of the way and now nothing. The key will lock all the doors and the unlock the drivers door like normal. The switch unlocks and locks the doors like normal as well. i can feel that the linkage inside the door from the inside handle is still attached. When i lift the outer handle it feels like it would if the doors were locked. I dont know where to go. i dont know how to pull the lock or the outer handle. I dont know how to get the door panel off with the door shut. Im stuck. If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

So i have a 1990 accord ex with just over 270k. I went to my car this morning unlocked it started it up to warm it up and when i shut the door i didnt shut it all the way, just one click i guess you could say. thought no big deal and went back inside. When i came back to my car the drivers door would not open. almost as if it were locked. i slammed it shut the rest of the way and now nothing. The key will lock all the doors and the unlock the drivers door like normal. The switch unlocks and locks the doors like normal as well. i can feel that the linkage inside the door from the inside handle is still attached. When i lift the outer handle it feels like it would if the doors were locked. I dont know where to go. i dont know how to pull the lock or the outer handle. I dont know how to get the door panel off with the door shut. Im stuck. If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

yea my del sol driver door does the same so i would like to know what to do also it open normal from the inside but the outer door handle it wont open the door it used to open it if i pulled hard but now nothing

The del sol issue is easier to deal with since the door still opens. The inner door handle has a plastic clip assembly in the door panel that the linkages attach to. The plastic is weak and because it is getting old the plastic breaks. You can buy a replacement from any Honda dealer for under $20 or get one for $5 from a salvage lot or ebay.

The problem with the accord seems more like a door hinge/pin alignment issue. It is not unusual for a sagging door to not close all the way if enough force wasn't put into closing the door. When the latch strikes the pin the spring kicks it down to latch on but the door isn't aligned so it misses. Since it is partway down you can't just swing the door back shut or it just bounces off of the pin since the latch is already down. Car door latches are two stage for safety. My guess is the failed first swing caused the initial latch to swing down and when you shoved it the second latch actually caught. How to fix it? Beats the hell out of me. You are going to have to try and get the panel off from the inside to have any chance of fixing it, so get to work.

I managed to get the door panel off yesterday. Everything internaly seems to be fine and working. when i pull the latch on the inside it moves all the linkage and everything. i can see the locks operating normally. It still seems though that the latch doesnt unlock, if that makes any sense. Im stuck. I have heard about drilling something and then having to replace the latch and lock assembly. I dont know.

So i called a honda shop and the said the only way he has found to get them open is to air hammer the frack out of the latch from inside the door and have someone pull on the outside of the door until it gives. u basically have to break it apart and replace the whole assembly. WTF!

Not sure what to tell you specifically since I can't really picture what the accord lock mechanisms look like. I suppose studying your passenger door might give you some insight as to if you can slide a prybar or long screwdriver between there and trip the latch. I've had luck with rigging something to hold the linkage in the 'open' position while I give the inside of the door a hard kick. Just try not to break anything. And try to refrain from pulling on the outside handle too hard so you don't break the handle off.

Not sure what to tell you specifically since I can't really picture what the accord lock mechanisms look like. I suppose studying your passenger door might give you some insight as to if you can slide a prybar or long screwdriver between there and trip the latch. I've had luck with rigging something to hold the linkage in the 'open' position while I give the inside of the door a hard kick. Just try not to break anything. And try to refrain from pulling on the outside handle too hard so you don't break the handle off.

Ill try the good kick thing see if i can make that work. If not im just gunna run it for now. i was in the process of selling the car which sucks to one of my friends who lets just say isnt the smallest of people. thanks for your advice.

I have done a couple of cars with your apparent issue. It sounds like the linkage that goes to the door latch on the up right is messed up. Usually you do have air chissle the thing off, but with the panel off you should be able to take the window out and get more space to get to the linkage to the door latch and pull that back with a hook tool to get the door open. After that you will have to determine which piece is bad. Usually what I find as the issue is one of the platics swinging lock clips that holds the linage arm in place is broken. Good luck.

Archived