cooling system woes

Wendy72058

just bought a 1995 del sol and its spewing antfreeze out the overflow-has a new water pump-fan not coming on either-where do i start as far as replacing/fixing??

If fan is not coming on check fan relay, also you can run wire to battery and make sure it is working. If it turns on manually it is either relay, or temp sensor most likely.

Another thing, if you have AC swap out fan relays they are the same.

When the water pump was replaced did the thermostat get replaced? As far as the fan, start at the fuse box and work down. If the fuse is good move to the relay. One way as was stated switch the ac fan relay and see. if you do not have a a/c relay, take a 9 volt battery and touch it accross two posts diagonal from each other on the fan relay. Try it one way, if that does not work try it the other way. On proper cantact the relay should make a click sound. If these two check out run a wire from the positve post on the battery to the fan, and ground the other wire of the fan to the car (doesn't matter which wire on the fan, the fan will spin either direction) If the fan does not kick on at this point then start to look at the sensor.

Hope this helps

When the water pump was replaced did the thermostat get replaced? As far as the fan, start at the fuse box and work down. If the fuse is good move to the relay. One way as was stated switch the ac fan relay and see. if you do not have a a/c relay, take a 9 volt battery and touch it accross two posts diagonal from each other on the fan relay. Try it one way, if that does not work try it the other way. On proper cantact the relay should make a click sound. If these two check out run a wire from the positve post on the battery to the fan, and ground the other wire of the fan to the car (doesn't matter which wire on the fan, the fan will spin either direction) If the fan does not kick on at this point then start to look at the sensor.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Even if T-stat was bad fan would still come on.

ok-straight wired fan comes on - i didnt replace water pump just know it was b4 i got car so don't know about thermostat

so...that means sensor and/or relay is bad for starters??

thanx for help

ok-straight wired fan comes on - i didnt replace water pump just know it was b4 i got car so don't know about thermostat

so...that means sensor and/or relay is bad for starters??

thanx for help

I assume you did check fuse, so yes relay test would be next. Do you have AC??

Then if you have not tried already swap relays, or check the way the other guy said.

wow two days on the forum and i'm already "the other guy". lol.

wow two days on the forum and i'm already "the other guy". lol.

HAAH! Well I did not have your name handy in the posting page! Plus you are Samba #3 around here!:D So you be that other, other guy in truth!:p

just bought a 1995 del sol and its spewing antfreeze out the overflow-has a new water pump-fan not coming on either-where do i start as far as replacing/fixing??

thanx guys-appreciate all help-bought a new thermostat -had to order sensor that goes in it so will have back together mon afternoon and see if that does it or not-having trouble finding the other sensor-oreillys and advance auto came up with wrong part

ok-new water pump,thermostat,fan sending unit pc and still overheating-cannot find correct parts on other 2 sending units,the fan will only come on straight wired,the relay DOES click-tested as you guys told me

I am lost-sending it to mechanic.also by the way I needed 2 front turn signals and ordered on ebay from dotcomracing-PLEASE DONT ANYONE ORDER FROM THIS PLACE-THEY SENT WRONG PARTS & ARE TOTAL IDIOTS-AM THROWING PARTS IN TRASH AS NOT EVEN WORTH THE MESS THEY WANT ME TO DO TO RETURN AND HAVE ORDERED NEW ONES FROM ANOTHER PLACE ONLINE.

I bought a salvage title Del Sol and am trying to fix it up - still need a rear bumper and front marker lites if anyone can advise me where best place to get them is.

THANX

Wendy

ok-new water pump,thermostat,fan sending unit pc and still overheating-cannot find correct parts on other 2 sending units,the fan will only come on straight wired,the relay DOES click-tested as you guys told me

I am lost-sending it to mechanic.also by the way I needed 2 front turn signals and ordered on ebay from dotcomracing-PLEASE DONT ANYONE ORDER FROM THIS PLACE-THEY SENT WRONG PARTS & ARE TOTAL IDIOTS-AM THROWING PARTS IN TRASH AS NOT EVEN WORTH THE MESS THEY WANT ME TO DO TO RETURN AND HAVE ORDERED NEW ONES FROM ANOTHER PLACE ONLINE.

I bought a salvage title Del Sol and am trying to fix it up - still need a rear bumper and front marker lites if anyone can advise me where best place to get them is.

THANX

Wendy

I has perfect stock corner lights, too bad you already ordered. I would of sold them to you for like $20.00 shipped:)

Archived