Need help in replacing Catalytic Converter

Killtodie

Hi everyone, I own a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe with 165k miles. I currently have a 2.25" Magnaflow aftermarket exhaust with OBX Racing Headers and a stock, gutted cat.

I had the exhaust and headers installed at a shop that is no longer in business a few years ago. My cat had gone bad about a year, getting a 0420 error. I recently removed the cat and gutted it, it was very clogged. I put the empty shell back in place temporarily while I shop around for a new cat.

I would like to spend as little as possible on a new cat, I found two solutions:

$80for a Magnaflow with a place to install the O2 sensor, 2" inlet/outlet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-54054/

or this $60 cat that has no plug for the O2 sensor 2.5" also available in 2"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-6906/

My question is this:

-Can I buy the $60 cat and install the plug for the O2 sensor right behind and get proper readings?

-My exhaust is 2.25", is it best to get a 2" or 2.5" diameter cat?

Another issue is price and installation. My current cat was welded to the downpipe, its currently held in place with some clamps and 2.5" adapters wrapped and muffler tape. I dont have access to any welding gear and will need a shop to weld flanges on the cat and downpipe. So my other question is:

-What is the best way to attach either one of those cats? Use flared flanges or have a shop weld regular flanges on the cat?

-The Magnaflow is labeled as "Direct OE replacement" while the Catco is "slip in" What methods is best to attach either catalytic converters?

Thank you

I bought me a new cat, found a shop that says they will install it for $50. guess I'm all set.

Damn it! I wish I would of seen this sooner! There is a guy in Montana I get all my Magnaflow cats from! I could of sent you link and you could of got that for $50.00 shipped! I just bought one for my Sol yesterday!:blush:

lol, damn, that would have been nice. I had this post up for 3 days before I decided to buy it before the weekend.

Found the same one on eBay with free shipping though

Damn it! I wish I would of seen this sooner! There is a guy in Montana I get all my Magnaflow cats from! I could of sent you link and you could of got that for $50.00 shipped! I just bought one for my Sol yesterday!:blush:

You think he can get something for an F150?

Archived