Rattle Snakes in Ohio

SpeedDemon

its cool youre trying to prove your point and everything just dont call someone a dumbass. when he didnt insult you at all... chill out buddy

hahahahaha bear grylls! love that show.... c'mon you cant take anything a guy named Bear says for granted lol

its not a literal insult like that. more of a red foreman thing. couldnt thing of anything better. i was more or less telling keggy to read. i had already stated that i didnt think they were rattle snakes 3 or 4r times

that show is nice, too bad i dont have cable to watch it

Never met a snake I needed to kill. In fact, first thing I do is pick them up because they are cool as hell. The little rattlers we find here are usually no bigger round then my index finger and a foot or less in length. Provided you don't step on them they are usually calm enough to just reach down and pick up. They generally just curl around your hand and absorb your warmth.

Biggest one I have seen so far was a rat snake that was well in excess of three feet and was easily as big a round as my wrist. Didn't mess with that one as his head was big enough he could have easily bit me and latched on to any part of my body. My guess is he was beyond mice at that point and eating rabbits and squirrels, maybe the occasional young cat. Damn beautiful too. If you have never seen one an Ohio variety of Rat Snake is this gorgeous velvety solid black color and when it moves through the woods it looks like a flowing strip of black water.

i have seen the rat snake. not here in chillicothe, but up north. i wont pick a snake up at all unless i know 100% its a garder snake or something harmless.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man it seems like the majority of the country has it pretty bad with small animals that will F* yo Sh*t up..Here in New England(MA) when you actually see a snake which is kinda rare, you see a garden snake or a black racer...The only animal I really have to be careful about are bears when going mountain biking up in NH or ME...Granted when driving you gotta watch out for deer and Moose.

David, I did read. All four pages of "you don't know what your talking about."

It's a water snake. Plain and simple. Try taking the body to a herpetologist, they'll tell you it's a Northern Water Snake. Just like my dad, a herpetologist, said it was.

And they have a harmless bite, other than the natural bacteria in their mouths, which is dangerous to the elderly and small children because of under developed or compromised immune systems.

And you may have very well said that it wasn't a rattler, but you started a thread saying it was a rattlesnake and that the wildlife association wouldn't listen to you about it.

So don't try to bite my head off when you're the one that started the whole assanine thread, because you don't know what one looks like.

yeah cotton mouths are nasty. same with water moccasins. i went down to his garage to put my short shifter in...didnt happen. we killed another snake...im starting to think these arent rattle snakes. they are in the water. but nonetheless we shot it with a 22 and had to cut it in half to finaly kill it. ill have pics up in a bit

well ok, the snakes are not rattle snakes(i pretty much assumed so). but they are in fact water snakes. apparently very deadly too. we took one in and the wildlife guy was not at all happy to hear that they were in chillicothe. we killed a third one this morning. i went down to move some logs and wood so mom can mowe...and there one lays, about as big as the second one. ill get pics up later tonight or tomorrow. cant find batteries for the camera

no i was right in the first place. it isnt a rattle snake. its a water snake. but they are venomous. he took one in to the wildlife dept and they did that toxin test. it cant kill you, but will make you very very sick

it has fangs, you just cant see them in the pic. they are retracted. if he still has them ill try and get a better pic.

kegger, there are 3 quotes of mine each saying that i did not think it was arattle snake. at first i did, but after i went back down to the garage and looked at it again, i knew it wasnt.

and yes i did start the thread with that title, but after looking at the snake again i knew it wasnt, and it was too late for me to edit the title. so it stayed that way.

Man it seems like the majority of the country has it pretty bad with small animals that will F* yo Sh*t up..Here in New England(MA) when you actually see a snake which is kinda rare, you see a garden snake or a black racer...The only animal I really have to be careful about are bears when going mountain biking up in NH or ME...Granted when driving you gotta watch out for deer and Moose.

SC has plenty of venoumous snakes such as cotton mouths, rattle snakes, copperheads, etc

venoumous spiders include: black and brown widow, brown reclulse, wolf spider (them bitches will chase you), etc

as for road animals: deer (they tend to attack cars around here), possoms (will bite your car), bunnies, squirrels, and we have hogs but i havent seen them on the road yet.. OH! and you have to watch for turkeys too

SC has plenty of venoumous snakes such as cotton mouths, rattle snakes, copperheads, etc

venoumous spiders include: black and brown widow, brown reclulse, wolf spider (them bitches will chase you), etc

as for road animals: deer (they tend to attack cars around here), possoms (will bite your car), bunnies, squirrels, and we have hogs but i havent seen them on the road yet.. OH! and you have to watch for turkeys too

I fcuking HATE turkeys!!! I swear... they're worse than deer on the road.

Several years ago I worked at a riding stable out in the middle of no where- it took a few isolated, twisty, winding roads to get there. One afternoon I volunteered to drive into town to grab lunch for everyone and bring it back up to the barn. On my way back I nearly severely damaged my car because I came around a turn too fast only to find a flock of wild turkey's sitting in the middle of the road. I slammed on the breaks and swerved. If I'd been going any faster, I probably would've flipped my car. It was only weeks before Thanksgiving. That terrified me- one because I've never met a wild turkey up close before, and two, because I'd never had to slam on the breaks and swerve like that to avoid killing them, damaging my car, or worse, myself. And I genuinely believe that the turkey's did it to put me off Thanksgiving forever. Well, it worked. And I no longer have any desire to eat turkey anymore either. When I got to the barn and told everyone what had taken me so long, everyone laughed at me & swore there was no way we had wild turkeys in the area, so I must've just had a hallucination. Thanks... that made me feel so much better. The turkey's can invade my unconscious now too?!

oh yea we get the turkeys heres too. Its pretty common to see 30+ of em all together at once..I almost hit one on the HWY as it was taking flight off the road. If I was in my camry and not the sol, I would have hit it for sure and had turkey soup for breakfast.

David, your are furthermore an idiot and I say that in the most loving way. Turkeys are absolutely everywhere in Ohio. Weekly, I nearly hit one with a vehicle. Your part of the state is a prime destination for hunters to travel to during turkey season, of which one is going on through the end of next week I believe.

And Lexi, didn't anyone ever tell you it is far better to plow over the animals in the road versus flipping your car? I would much rather have a dented bumper and a dead turkey then to be dead myself for saving a worthless turkey. A deer on the other hand, can actually kill you if you do hit it and may very well total your car too - so I would suggest evading those when possible.

Sara - wolf spiders are not overly dangerous to humans; at the very least the variety we have in Ohio will give you a wicked bite, but is never lethal. You just end up with something that feels like the biggest wasp sting you have ever felt and the pain and swelling take days to subside, but it never spreads beyond a 1in circle. If it bit you in a tender area you can have a hardened lump and tender spot for months before it finally clears entirely. Our wolfs here get to be about an inch across. They are extremely fast and hairy too. Pretty funny when one darts across the living room floor and spooks the hell out of the dog. Tracy got bit on the neck by one two years ago. Was sore for her for months.

And Lexi, didn't anyone ever tell you it is far better to plow over the animals in the road versus flipping your car? I would much rather have a dented bumper and a dead turkey then to be dead myself for saving a worthless turkey. A deer on the other hand, can actually kill you if you do hit it and may very well total your car too - so I would suggest evading those when possible.

you're talking to the daughter of the woman who totalled her car and ended upside-down in a ditch while trying to avoid a rabbit on friday the 13th... and the only thing she could think about was "oh hell... this is going to destroy my boots!!"

Sara - wolf spiders are not overly dangerous to humans; at the very least the variety we have in Ohio will give you a wicked bite, but is never lethal. You just end up with something that feels like the biggest wasp sting you have ever felt and the pain and swelling take days to subside, but it never spreads beyond a 1in circle. If it bit you in a tender area you can have a hardened lump and tender spot for months before it finally clears entirely. Our wolfs here get to be about an inch across. They are extremely fast and hairy too. Pretty funny when one darts across the living room floor and spooks the hell out of the dog. Tracy got bit on the neck by one two years ago. Was sore for her for months.

the damn things were breeding on my moms porch somewhere and i got chased by one

my mom tried saying they were not poisonous so i looked them up.. i believe they were right under brown recluse with black widows.

i HATE spiders

David, your are furthermore an idiot and I say that in the most loving way. Turkeys are absolutely everywhere in Ohio. Weekly, I nearly hit one with a vehicle. Your part of the state is a prime destination for hunters to travel to during turkey season, of which one is going on through the end of next week I believe.

no offense taken. but still, i have never seen a turkey around where i live. ever. (when im driving at least). i also do a lot of highway and city travel. so idk, i still just dont see them. see quite a bit of raccoon, deer, squirrel, bunnys!, and lizards. and the occasional turtle.

brown recluse is a nasty bitch.

warrants blowtorching.

blowtorching? no.

propane torching yes.

2084010527_d52c004ddc.jpg

Wolf spiders here are semi-aggressive and will attack most things that trigger their nest regardless of the size of what tripped it.

Carolina Wolf

Link is for the variety you should have in SC. They are larger there then here and the note at the bottom is what I already knew. They are not deadly but can cause necrosis at the site of the bite. This makes them something to be careful of, but nothing to be afraid of.

you jerk!!!

i'm absolutely terrified of spiders. even photos of spiders. Take them down!! post links or something... not the images!

my method of dealing with any and all spiders? hairspray. lots of hairspray. and if it's outside, hairspray and a lighter.

ugh, I don't mind them so much but yea they aren't that big here...When I was in NC in sept. I came across a huge banana spider..Freaked me the F* out..needless to say I didn't turn my back to it until I was like 15 feet away lol.

yeah those little sh1ts are quick. they really arent supposed to be in the states. but make it here on banana trucks from south america. causes permanent sterilization to men haha. (and i think you have permanent nerve damage which means no getting it up)

i dont mind them when im out in the open. but if im in our basement or around bushes, ill run like a bitch too haha. that little fairy dance thing where you fling your arms everywhere lol

Archived