Rattle Snakes in Ohio

SpeedDemon

I figured you or Seb would chime in on that! I swear there is no other meat that tastes the same!:)

I love gamey & unusual foods like pheasant, duck, quail etc. Especially love venison and poached quail eggs are to die for. I haven't tried elk, caribou, bear or anything like that yet but I really want to. Kangaroo has to be the most interesting one so far. I wasn't keen on gator or turtle.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like a bull snake.

this is a rattlesnake:

Picture02.jpg

if you look closely, you can see the rattle at the end of the tail. i cut the head off.

i killed and ate this while camping in california. its a western diamond back rattlesnake obviously

heh look at that... you can kill crap here lol

I love gamey & unusual foods like pheasant, duck, quail etc. Especially love venison and poached quail eggs are to die for. I haven't tried elk, caribou, bear or anything like that yet but I really want to. Kangaroo has to be the most interesting one so far. I wasn't keen on gator or turtle.

Then you must love Sage Grouse??:wub:

Dont get too much gamier ( not spelled right if it is even a word) than that!:D

Yea seeing as it lives off of Sage..

Sidenote -- Just tied the gingerfaggot in post count with this here post.

definitely not a venomous snake.

rattlesnakes have an arrow shaped head

also venomous snakes have fangs, none of those head pics have fangs

crotalus_horridus1.jpg

no i was right in the first place. it isnt a rattle snake. its a water snake. but they are venomous. he took one in to the wildlife dept and they did that toxin test. it cant kill you, but will make you very very sick

it has fangs, you just cant see them in the pic. they are retracted. if he still has them ill try and get a better pic.

David, your statement about it being venomous is pointless because just about every snake is venomous. Some of the toxins don't affect humans and some aren't strong enough to kill or severely hurt though.

Venomous snakes are pretty common in the western part of the state where I live. The Massasauga is a prairie dweller and there is a huge state prairie preserve not far north of me. I find little rattlers every year at my place. We have a small stream that runs along my property and they hang out near it.

well its not as venemous as the rattle snake or anything. it isnt likely that it will kill a healthy adult. but it can easily kill children and older people.

idk im just saying what the snake guy told us

they better not come near you...you already get run over by forklifts at work and a bunch of other accidents...

btw, I'm accident prone too: I walk into walls and trip on straight floor a lot loool

me and my brother got a kick out of me walking into a bowling ball rack yesterday. they are along the wall in the main isle and i wasnt paying attention to where i was walking. walked right into it, gave myself a dead leg haha.

well we havent seen many more since we killed those three. but ive not really been looking.

Be careful killing some of those snakes too. The Massasauga is endangered and protected. It is actually illegal to kill it and carries a stiff penalty if you get caught. Not likely that you would, just don't go all excited to the DNR if you actually off one.

Be careful killing some of those snakes too. The Massasauga is endangered and protected. It is actually illegal to kill it and carries a stiff penalty if you get caught. Not likely that you would, just don't go all excited to the DNR if you actually off one.

Do Not Resuscitate? :p

meh we only kill what threatens us.

Do Not Resuscitate? :p

i guess so

Okay, this is driving me nuts...

First off, no rattle, not a rattler. Been covered about 7298347592 times so far. It looks incredibly like a Northern Water Snake. A very common and harmless species. If the wildlife guy is right, I'll eat my right foot.

Second, snakes will very rarely attack people, instead of killing them, just poke 'em with a stick to chase 'em off, they'll go away. Cuz it sounds like you killed all three unprovoked. Just cuz it scared you is no reason to kill it. Snakes are incredibly beneficial to the general maintenance of the rodent population, so unless you want to be infested with mice and rats, leave the snakes alone.

Third, not all snakes are venomous. There are only 4 species of snakes that are venomous in this country, rattlers, cottonmouths, copperheads, and coral snakes. All snakes can leave a nasty bite that people assume is due to venom, when it fact it is actually just an infection caused by the normal bacteria that live in a snakes mouth. It's painful, nasty, and sucks for about a week, but won't kill you unless you're dumb and don't get the infection treated.

And you wonder why the wildlife association won't listen to people? Because they think every snake is deadly. Common sense people....

First off, no rattle, not a rattler. Been covered about 7298347592 times so far. It looks incredibly like a Northern Water Snake. A very common and harmless species. If the wildlife guy is right, I'll eat my right foot.

Second, snakes will very rarely attack people, instead of killing them, just poke 'em with a stick to chase 'em off, they'll go away. Cuz it sounds like you killed all three unprovoked. Just cuz it scared you is no reason to kill it. Snakes are incredibly beneficial to the general maintenance of the rodent population, so unless you want to be infested with mice and rats, leave the snakes alone.

Third, not all snakes are venomous. There are only 4 species of snakes that are venomous in this country, rattlers, cottonmouths, copperheads, and coral snakes. All snakes can leave a nasty bite that people assume is due to venom, when it fact it is actually just an infection caused by the normal bacteria that live in a snakes mouth. It's painful, nasty, and sucks for about a week, but won't kill you unless you're dumb and don't get the infection treated.

And you wonder why the wildlife association won't listen to people? Because they think every snake is deadly. Common sense people....

I [heart] you.

dude, you completely missed the point. and i stated on the first page that i did not think it was a rattle snake. so we took one in and they guy said it was a water snake. just like a assumed(yes no rattle, no rattle snake). ill take mice and rats anyday, because these damn snakes will chase you through the grass(hence the reason we killed them). when we took the snake in they told us it can be deadly to small children and older people. i know that not all snakes are deadly. look where i live dumbass. im around snakes 24/7. that includes water snakes, copperheads, milk snakes, and there are two more i cant remember the name of. thats like this morning. i get up at 7 to take the dogs out, and i find a ball of garder snakes...sure they are harmless, but they smell like sh1t. so i scattered them off. so before you criticize me for all this you should read everything carefully. dont take sh1t out on me when i was only referring to what a wildlife guy told us.

i take that back. we did kill 3 snakes. i forgot about the one we chopped in half. o well when the things chase you through the grass then its time to kill.

the flood water is receding so hopefully they go with it

bear grylls says dont poke rattlers cause it pisses them off :pirate:

dude, you completely missed the point. and i stated on the first page that i did not think it was a rattle snake. so we took one in and they guy said it was a water snake. just like a assumed(yes no rattle, no rattle snake). ill take mice and rats anyday, because these damn snakes will chase you through the grass(hence the reason we killed them). when we took the snake in they told us it can be deadly to small children and older people. i know that not all snakes are deadly. look where i live dumbass. im around snakes 24/7. that includes water snakes, copperheads, milk snakes, and there are two more i cant remember the name of. thats like this morning. i get up at 7 to take the dogs out, and i find a ball of garder snakes...sure they are harmless, but they smell like sh1t. so i scattered them off. so before you criticize me for all this you should read everything carefully. dont take sh1t out on me when i was only referring to what a wildlife guy told us.

i take that back. we did kill 3 snakes. i forgot about the one we chopped in half. o well when the things chase you through the grass then its time to kill.

the flood water is receding so hopefully they go with it

its cool youre trying to prove your point and everything just dont call someone a dumbass. when he didnt insult you at all... chill out buddy

bear grylls says dont poke rattlers cause it pisses them off :pirate:

hahahahaha bear grylls! love that show.... c'mon you cant take anything a guy named Bear says for granted lol

hehe next time I see a snake, I'll follow your directions Kegan :D

reminds me of when I was a kid and me and my cousins stole my uncle's gun and went to "shoot snakes" but all we did was shoot trees LOL

i take bear's advice

since he poked it and it tried to attack him

you guys need to watch worse case scenario more.. i know about rattle snake bites, dog attacks, and downed power lines

Never met a snake I needed to kill. In fact, first thing I do is pick them up because they are cool as hell. The little rattlers we find here are usually no bigger round then my index finger and a foot or less in length. Provided you don't step on them they are usually calm enough to just reach down and pick up. They generally just curl around your hand and absorb your warmth.

Biggest one I have seen so far was a rat snake that was well in excess of three feet and was easily as big a round as my wrist. Didn't mess with that one as his head was big enough he could have easily bit me and latched on to any part of my body. My guess is he was beyond mice at that point and eating rabbits and squirrels, maybe the occasional young cat. Damn beautiful too. If you have never seen one an Ohio variety of Rat Snake is this gorgeous velvety solid black color and when it moves through the woods it looks like a flowing strip of black water.

Archived