Blew up my D16 need help!

Alright to start this off i just want to say that i am new the the forum scene so dont hate on me to much please ^.^

Alright a couple of weeks ago i was driving down the road and all of a sudden my 94 5speed del sol si started to idle really rough and make a weird clinking noise. At first i thought it was the timing so i got it home checked the timing and it was fine, i started to rip the motor down and i found out i snapped a connecting rod in the 4th cylinder and chewed up the piston. I took the oil pan off today and saw that there are sum huge gouges in the crank shaft, i know crank shafts aren't the cheapest, witch brings me to starting this thread.

Im trying to figure out what would be the most practical and affordable thing to do.

I could buy new rods pistons and a crank and just fix the current D16z6.

Or i have a friend that has a 90 accord with a H22A1 in it that would sell it to me for 400$ witch as i understand would for 400$ i would get motor mounts, motor, wiring harness, axles, pretty much i could drop it right into the del sol, correct?

But that brings up my next issue, the H22A1 is automatic and i would like to do a auto to manual swap if i was to put it into the del sol. Since my del sol was already a 5speed what would i need to swap it to manual other then a manual tranny and probably a new clutch.

I dont know if i explained my situation as well as i wished too, but any feed back would be very helpfull.

Thanks ahead of time! =)

for the d16 you would have to get a new crank if the old one is scarred. period. would be a reliable motor at all. check the journals to see if they are fked too. but if you can get all of that from the h22 for $400 then do that. they usually run 400+ for just the motor. only thing you will have to do is sort of dent the firewall or something like that to make room for the bigger engine. as far as the auto tranny...youll need to either find a manual transmission from a h22 or do a H2B transmission. which pretty much you buy a B series transmission and get a conversion kit(premade) and do that. which is usually best for the n/a setups. but if you swap to the h22 youll also have to get some new suspension up front as the h22 is quite heavier.

so all in all i would just rebuild the D. a new block and crank with mains should run around 375 from dealer. thats if your block isnt usable and you cant find another crank that is still good

Or i have a friend that has a 90 accord with a H22A1 in it that would sell it to me for 400$ witch as i understand would for 400$ i would get motor mounts, motor, wiring harness, axles, pretty much i could drop it right into the del sol, correct?

mounts wont be the same, wiring wont be the same unless you rip out ALL of your wiring and replace it with ALL of the accord wiring, axles probably wont work, etc

you'll probably have to do an h2b for the tranny which means getting a b series tranny

aka if you have 3 grand laying around and the time and know how.. go ahead (which i know you dont have the know how since you made the post)

you can order a next to new D series (d16z6, d16zc, d15b, etc) for under $800... this would be bascially plug and play and you'd be back on the road in a few hours (doesnt take long to drop a d in a car) '

might be cheaper to do that also.. because after buying a new crank rods pistions bearings etc and machine work you'll be spending some money and not to mention the time it would take to get everything done and put together

• 2 weeks later...

Archived