radiator is leaking

twigy

so i need to invest in a new radiator so any suggestion... should i just get a stock one..

I dont know how long the car was overheating before i noticed it and pulled over, so what damaged could i have done... blown gasket or something

You want either a stock or high quality aftermarket radiator. Don't get a cheapo one. Yes our little Honda engines tend to run cool, but better not to play with fire.

Watch your coolant level and exhaust for a while after you get it running, if the exhaust has a lot of white smoke in it, you probably cracked/blew the headgasket. Also keep an eye on the oil/coolant caps. If you see yellow gunk around the oil cap or brown spots or chocolate milk in the radiator, again, the headgasket. While you're in there, it might not be a bad idea to do a timing belt and water pump change, just to be on the safe side. Depends on how long those parts have been on there. I'd probably throw in a new thermostat as well if it were my Sol.

thanks.... yeah there was white smoke coming from the exhaust(manifold)but didnt know if that was a bit of oil burning or not as i had just after checkin the oil and a few drips could have landed on it, but i had the car running for 30 mins and it didnt overheat and there was no leaking from the radiator... so im confused as to wat to do now, should i take it for another drive and see what happens i just dont want to wreck the car

I'd say drive it around the block a few times, pop the hood and check everything, then take it out to a main road and jump on it a bit. That's usually when you'll find the giant clouds of white smoke coming out the pipe. Make sure it's warmed up before that though, otherwise you might get a few puffs of white that are completely unrelated. If everything seems fine, I'd say keep an eye on coolant level and the radiator and oil filler caps for a while, but you're probably in the clear. Good luck!

I'd say drive it around the block a few times, pop the hood and check everything, then take it out to a main road and jump on it a bit. That's usually when you'll find the giant clouds of white smoke coming out the pipe. Make sure it's warmed up before that though, otherwise you might get a few puffs of white that are completely unrelated. If everything seems fine, I'd keep an eye on coolant level and the radiator and oil filler caps for a while, but you're probably in the clear. Good luck!

Archived