89 Accord Idle problem

ben2045

I have an 89 Accord LXi, 2.0L fuel injected, and am havinga hell of a time with my idle. When cold, idles just perfect, but once it warms up as soon as I stop at a light or come to a complete stop somewhere it idles super rough and shakes. It's an automatic and only happens when I put it in Drive or Reverse. I've cleaned the IACV and checked for Vacuum leaks, not exactly sure where to head next. I adjusted the idle with the adjustment screw but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Any input or ideas you guys might have would be great. Thanks!

I have an 89 Accord LXi, 2.0L fuel injected, and am havinga hell of a time with my idle. When cold, idles just perfect, but once it warms up as soon as I stop at a light or come to a complete stop somewhere it idles super rough and shakes. It's an automatic and only happens when I put it in Drive or Reverse. I've cleaned the IACV and checked for Vacuum leaks, not exactly sure where to head next. I adjusted the idle with the adjustment screw but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Any input or ideas you guys might have would be great. Thanks!

I had that problem. When I would first start it up, it was fine, but after driving for no longer than a minute and coming to a stop, it would idle like crap, and almost feel like it was going to die. we had a full diagnostic done on it. a valve cleaning and valve adjustment later, it ran beautifully. it all started when I had the fuel filter changed, and I think the better fuel flow had something to do with the problem making itself known. my situation was pretty rare, but yours could have something similar (my car is at 162k and this all happened about a month or two ago)

*oh, and I could also feel it running like crap on the highway, it just wasn't quite as noticeable. at stop it would vibrate violently and felt unhealthy to say the least

I had that problem. When I would first start it up, it was fine, but after driving for no longer than a minute and coming to a stop, it would idle like crap, and almost feel like it was going to die. we had a full diagnostic done on it. a valve cleaning and valve adjustment later, it ran beautifully. it all started when I had the fuel filter changed, and I think the better fuel flow had something to do with the problem making itself known. my situation was pretty rare, but yours could have something similar (my car is at 162k and this all happened about a month or two ago)

*oh, and I could also feel it running like crap on the highway, it just wasn't quite as noticeable. at stop it would vibrate violently and felt unhealthy to say the least

I was just flipping through various honda forums and found that solution listed a couple of times. I think I'm going to try it this evening after work. Thanks!

Archived