02 sensors

joniboi

ok so i just got this car right honda civic lx 1998 it has 2 o2 sensors and the engine light is on the bottom sensor is straight just messed up really bad but the top one is pretty clean the mechanic told me that the engine light is on because of the 02 sensors that i should change both of them?? should wat do u guys think? appreciate the help

Change which ever one is bad, not both. The code will tell you or the mechanic which one it is. Both are easy. Bank one sensor one (or as I think you are calling the top one) simply requires removing the heat shield from the cat. If it is sensor one (which is mounted in the cat) be sure to check the cat right around where the sensor screws in and check for cracks. It is relatively common for the cat to crack on that generation and it will 99% of the time be where the O2 sensor mounts.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, if only one sensor is knackered & the other one is fine then just replace the knackered one, as the saying goes 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. If you want to save some cash i would try finding a second hand part, try these guys for cheap Honda Car Parts, they should be able to help.

I agree, if only one sensor is knackered & the other one is fine then just replace the knackered one, as the saying goes 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. If you want to save some cash i would try finding a second hand part, try these guys for cheap Honda Car Parts, they should be able to help.

Do not buy used O2 sensors. Buy new here Click Also I only use OE identical! Had bad experience with POS Bosch universal fit O2! Lost 3 MPG, replaced with one of these Denso OE fit went back where mileage should, and light go bye bye!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived