oil pan gasket leak, or rear main seal leak?

s_frost

for as much I've learned about cars in the past few months, I cannot seem to figure out exactly how the transmission and transaxle "fit" and "work" down there. Consequently, I feel kind of stupid when there's a big line of some fluid between the engine and what I think is the transaxle (though where is the transmission in all that?). I've had some shops tell me it's a leaking oil pan gasket, but just recently I was told it's a leaking rear main seal. I understand where that's at, I just wasn't aware engine oil comes out looking like rust, so I'm kind of wondering. I would like for it to only be the oil pan gasket, but I guess the last guys probably had a better look under there. I need to get a second opinion from a nearby shop before I empty my wallet, but I figure it might help to see what people on here think. I don't know if these images will be sufficient, though

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

(those images came out larger than I expected. anyway, three months ago I didn't even know what a crankshaft was. I've been reading stuff like crazy and have successfully changed a few things, but there's still a lot I have to learn)

I was afraid so. thanks for the input

(why some shops told me it was the oil pan gasket, I don't know. maybe there's a small leak somewhere there, too, but I'd have to really look)

Archived