Check Engine Light

netbret

I need some help...my Sol just recently gave a check engine light and after checking my service manual, I jumped the two pins to get the diagnostic code from it and it gave me a "code 9" 9 short blinks. After looking back to my manual again, it's pointing at the CYP sensor (No. 1 Cylinder Position Sensor)

I wanted to know that if the Ohms check that was suggested checked out what else would fix the problem? does the entire distributor need to be replaced or does this have something to do with the ignitor board in the distributor?

Im having the same prob in my sol right now. Ive read where ppl have replaced there dizzies to or three time and the problem still presist. post up if you find the prob, short of trying a new dizzy ive done everything

thanx yea ive checked the obvious , coolant, iacv, wiring, electrical conectors ect. Im trying to find a friend with a known good dizzy to try b4 i go and buy one. Lemme know what you find out and ill do likewise

I am having the same problem. I would say my check engine light stays on 75% of the time im in my sol. My mechanic didn't find anything wrong so I just keep driving...

Well, I have an update...I confirmed the check engine code at a local shop just to be sure before I started throwing parts at it and no other codes came up but the original one I posted. The CYP sensor is located in the distributor housing and has to be replaced. I found one on ebay for $87.95 that I'm going to purchase and should have sometime next week.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. This one on ebay comes with the distributor housing, cap, and rotor. I'm figuring that the coil and ICM will have to be removed from the old one.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update...I replaced the distributor over the weekend and it runs like a dream again. We put it back on the computer to have it checked and the problem went away.

So if any of you have this situation, the only way to fix it is to replace the distributor. We went with the complete setup (found on ebay) which made it easier for the installation and took the guess work out of something else failing.

Archived