manifold vs. headers question

dont know too much about my car yet, and trying to decide between a new manifold and complete exhaust system or getting headers and just right to muffler skipping cat converter. any opinions? or can someone tell me the difference between them?

ok a new manifold the only thing that comes to mine would be a turbo manifold other than that it would be really doing the header (1) not headers(2) a 4 cylinder only has a header. and if you are going to do a complete exhaust system then i would do a header bc you will get more power out of it than just using the stock one. and you can delete the cat if you want but what is your states laws

ok a new manifold the only thing that comes to mine would be a turbo manifold other than that it would be really doing the header (1) not headers(2) a 4 cylinder only has a header. and if you are going to do a complete exhaust system then i would do a header bc you will get more power out of it than just using the stock one. and you can delete the cat if you want but what is your states laws

so a 4-1 not a 4-2-1? from my front pipe back is all rusted to crap so im gonna replace it all. my state laws dont have inspections for smog or anything. My mechanic said he could do headers and full magnaflow for about 560 good price?

4-2-1 is better for low to mid range rpm gains and a 4-1 is better for mid to high rpm gains.. if i got that correctly.. i could have it backwards..

and its a header, you have one.. its singular not plural..

magnaflow is a NOGO! get something like buddyclub! i have a buddyclub prospec and i LOVE it!

i have a cat delete on mine, it gets a little raspy at 3k rpm and its due to not having a cat from what i was told.. if you have no smog or restrictions id say get a testpipe or have a pipe made to bolt up to the exhaust you get.. DONT cut the flange off and weld it to the exhaust!! get a catback exhaust and a testpipe or have one made.. header depends on your budget or what you want..

dc, jasma, toda, mugen (if you can find one), ractive, buddy club, etc..

oh.. please dont have someone make an exhaust for you.. talk about raspy rice bomb..

Keep in mind, whether you have smog/emissions tests or not it is still illegal to run a car without the catalytic converter. If you are ever pulled over for a traffic stop the officer can issue you a citation for tampering with emissions systems. Depending on your state and local laws the fine for that can be steep, like 200-300 in some cases and you would have to make a followup visit for an inspection that the problem has been fixed.

Best solution: buy a name brand header, get a no-name high-flow catalytic converter, buy a packaged cat-back exhaust. There are easily 20 different brands of exhaust you could buy. Do some google searching for brands. Then go to youtube and listen to videos posted and find something that fits your style and budget.

4-2-1 is better for low to mid range rpm gains and a 4-1 is better for mid to high rpm gains.. if i got that correctly.. i could have it backwards..

and its a header, you have one.. its singular not plural..

magnaflow is a NOGO! get something like buddyclub! i have a buddyclub prospec and i LOVE it!

i have a cat delete on mine, it gets a little raspy at 3k rpm and its due to not having a cat from what i was told.. if you have no smog or restrictions id say get a testpipe or have a pipe made to bolt up to the exhaust you get.. DONT cut the flange off and weld it to the exhaust!! get a catback exhaust and a testpipe or have one made.. header depends on your budget or what you want..

dc, jasma, toda, mugen (if you can find one), ractive, buddy club, etc..

oh.. please dont have someone make an exhaust for you.. talk about raspy rice bomb..

yeah im more mid range driving, and ive been told 4-2-1 is better for me...header* for earlier posts lol. and thanks for the advice.

by the way my civic will never become a raspy rice bomb as long as i own it

Keep in mind, whether you have smog/emissions tests or not it is still illegal to run a car without the catalytic converter. If you are ever pulled over for a traffic stop the officer can issue you a citation for tampering with emissions systems. Depending on your state and local laws the fine for that can be steep, like 200-300 in some cases and you would have to make a followup visit for an inspection that the problem has been fixed.

Best solution: buy a name brand header, get a no-name high-flow catalytic converter, buy a packaged cat-back exhaust. There are easily 20 different brands of exhaust you could buy. Do some google searching for brands. Then go to youtube and listen to videos posted and find something that fits your style and budget.

good point, and i know the cops around here well...wouldnt want to make em mad. any suggestions for name brand header? this sounds like a good solution to me

dc sports, megan racing are the first two namebrand headers i can think of.

brian why not have someone make him an exhaust? i would think that with a 2.25 inch mandral bent piping coming out to a buddy club prospec muffler it would sound pretty good. someone fill me in on this as well

DC header, magnaflow high flow cat, spintech exhaust. Best low rumble exhaust you can buy, and 0 rasp, 2.25 header back, I gaurantee you wont be disapointed. and that spintech wont spit its guts out in 5 years like the buddy club/greddy/ and other baffled exhausts. If you want to tone it down anymore look at getting a resonator.

Also regardless of state laws, if a cop finds out your running w/o a cat you will get slapped with a fatty fine, since it is a federal law.

dc sports, megan racing are the first two namebrand headers i can think of.

brian why not have someone make him an exhaust? i would think that with a 2.25 inch mandral bent piping coming out to a buddy club prospec muffler it would sound pretty good. someone fill me in on this as well

no resonator = RASP!!

• 2 months later...

headers benefit you in the way that there is a bigger exhaust diameter for the hot exaust gases to travel though also in combination with the Firring order they header makes a vacuum effect reducing the amount of gases re-enter the combustion chamber when the exhaust valve is open or closed lowering cylinder temperature and the amount of oxygen in the cylinder during combustion . The "collector" (where all the pipes on the header come together is where the negative pressure comes from , from the sister cylinder firing. also you loose a substantial amount of weight

Archived