does anybody know of a good pc anti-virus program. right now im runnin kaspersky but it is sucking big time. iv had mcafee and was rather fond of it but iv heard kaspersky was better. anybody had any luck with either one and what would you guys recommend??

AVG anti virus. get it free at download.com. ive used it since '01 and have only encountered 3 viruses on the desktop and laptop combined.

x2 and as Security+ certified, I highly recommend using this over anything else. http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol

in my computer forensics class we did a trial of the leading antivirus suites, heres what we came up with

1.) (belive it or not) microsoft security essentials (free, and 1/2 the size of the others) caught 96.5% of all attacks

2.) Trendmicro, 93.3%

3.) AVG 89.0 % (with the largest install package, 7X the size of microsoft security essentials updated)

4.) Norton AV 88.6%

6.) McAffe AV 72.2%

Remeber its not what it catches, its what it doesnt catch that matters.

More recently I have been having problems with machines running mcafee and norton.

BTW, the norton 360 program seems nice, but i just had to deal with a customer that had a virus, i fixed it, told them to buy an AV, they bought norton 360, I intalled it, it was infected with a new virus before the end of the weekend. i was not impressed.

avg is a decent program for free and panda isn't bad either. avg has lost some of its edge recently as it has become a more bloated application and is no longer #1 in stopping all viruses.

right now i have kaspersky cuz it was free with my laptop. it has not impressed me at all. it says my comp has 6 riskware programs, i go to scan it and it starts then goes to a blue screen resets and then loads in safe mode.

also everytime i log in under my name the pic my gf has pops up. any insight on that?

virus on malware.

for a quick fix get avg and advanced system care off of download.com.\

+1 on macafee being sh1t. our school computers have them and they are down at least twice a week.

• 2 weeks later...

AVAST or BitDefender are good. Going to pay a good bit for BitDefender. I have tried all of them. I am currently running 15 different one's and out of the 15, AVAST is the best one. I am not running the free AVAST, I am running the Internet Security.

Archived