Jump to content

power outlet always on


teday

Recommended Posts

I would like my 12 volt power outlet(s) to be on all the time. I dont want to have to turn my key on to charge my phone, ipod etc.

Is there an easy mod such as moving a wire on the fuse box maybe?

I dont have a shop manual yet so no schematic.

Thanks

T.Day

2006 Accord EX

San jose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, there is a reason your car doesn't allow you to do this, not to mention you should be running the motor while charging something through your cigarette lighter.

 

Well, having said that, since you seem determined to kill your battery, what you need to do is to bypass the ignition switch so that your cigarette lighter receives voltage like the Memory circuit. Problem is, the Cigarette circuit runs in parallel with other circuits that power down while the key is in START (III); notice what you can turn on while in ON (II) and then see how it turns off while cranking the car (key in START). This is a purposeful design. It ensures your starter receives the maximum amount of voltage while cranking the motor, key in START. Bypassing this design means your starter motor will have to compete with your iPod, cell, etc. You could buy some relays and design an alternate circuit that connects directly to the battery, though I would suggest a fusible link, in-line resistors, 30A relay, and 14 AWG wire. Design it so that the cirgarette lighter gets voltage at all times except when the key is in START. That way, you can kill your battery without making the starter compete with whatever you're charging.

 

Good luck, and remember, this thread is useless without pics.

Edited by James Matteu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't take offense anybody....but why are there so many retarded people in the world? Charging your ipod, phone or anything else that charges off the cigarette lighter pulls very little power and would take days to kill your battery IF it constantly charged which it doesn't. Older cars didn't have a cut off circuit for the cigarette lighter. They didn't attach it to the ignition to keep you from killing the battery, they made it that way to prevent something from shorting in the lighter while the car is off and burning the car up. Just make sure nothing falls in the lighter and you wont have a prob.

 

And if you are gonna leave your car sit for a few days, don't leave anything plugged in.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can promise you this -- I killed a brand new battery in a 2500 Sierra by merely charging a walkie talkie for two hours. Unless I by chance had a weak battery from the getgo (which gave me NO problems prior to or after jumping it off after the radio killed it), it won't take days. Especially on a tiny Honda battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can promise you this -- I killed a brand new battery in a 2500 Sierra by merely charging a walkie talkie for two hours. Unless I by chance had a weak battery from the getgo (which gave me NO problems prior to or after jumping it off after the radio killed it), it won't take days. Especially on a tiny Honda battery.

 

Ok....................

 

Do yourself a favor and ask somebody that knows something about electronics and batteries, or listen to a bunch of kids who don't know much about the mechanics of the cars they drive. My $.02.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't take offense anybody....but why are there so many retarded people in the world? Charging your ipod, phone or anything else that charges off the cigarette lighter pulls very little power and would take days to kill your battery IF it constantly charged which it doesn't. Older cars didn't have a cut off circuit for the cigarette lighter. They didn't attach it to the ignition to keep you from killing the battery, they made it that way to prevent something from shorting in the lighter while the car is off and burning the car up. Just make sure nothing falls in the lighter and you wont have a prob.

 

And if you are gonna leave your car sit for a few days, don't leave anything plugged in.

Thank you for setting the record straight. I've had plenty of cars that had a live power outlet, I ran air pumps while camping, chargers for flashlights and never had the slightest indication that the battery was weak.

A cell phone or ipod is only a few milliamps of power.

I just want to be able to plug it in while at work as I dont have an office to plug in a wall charger.

Don't worry I'll take pictures.

I just need to get a schematic to make sure I tap into to the right place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im sorry guys but jesterly is right on this one. An iPod or cell phone will not drain the battery. I mean I can leave a set of 55w HID's on for 3 or 4 hours before my battery doesnt have enough to crank over the starter, so i really doubt a charger (which is on average of 2 watts on load) is going to put a dent into a battery over an 8 hour period.

 

As far as what wire to run what I suggest is going on the back of your fuse panel, finding a hot line when the car is off (usualy a memory wire, or go off the main terminal) and run a fused line (3amp line) to the lighter.

 

I mean come on people, alarms draw constant power, ecu's draw constant power, stereos draw constant power, its not like hes running a 700watt inverter here. I have mine wired to be constantly hot, and have never had a problem. My astro van has 5 always hot outlets, AND a 100watt inverter thats hot on demand (car on or off) and I have NEVER had a problem.

 

When I was a camp counseler back in the day we used to take old car batteries and use them to power xmas lights in our tents. the average battery would power a 15w string for around 60 hours, and mind you, these were junkyard batteries.

Edited by cmgogo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still say this is a bad idea 'cause if it was a good idea, the car would have come this way.

 

It's your battery, do what you please.

 

Find your Cigarette Lighter Relay, unplug it and use a meter to find: the wire that connects to the Cigarette Lighter Fuse and the wire that connects to the socket the Cigarette Lighter plugs into. On my car they are Red/White and White/Red wires respectively. You want to insert a jumper wire into the relay connection to bridge these two wires. You can stow away the relay, you will not need it any more. Now you have your cigarette lighter hot at all times.

Edited by James Matteu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.