My EK Hatch Build

chris_agu28

Alright guys this starts my ek dx hatch build on my car. I Just got back from deployment and went balls deep on this. I just went out tonight and bought a jdm h22a complete bottom end. The one thing wrong with it is that the internals are out and in a box. Kid took them out to do a motor build like new sleeves and such and be lost his job so I picked up his so called project. The block is freaking FRESH like he ran like 100 miles on it and decided to take it apart. I scored a deal on it then I picked up a h22a1 head from another guy with everything and even a jdm intake mani and the stock usdm one. 400 bucks for the head and the block all together. Dont worry Guys tomorrow when there is light I will post pics too dark for pics.

My goal with this h22 is refresh/rebuild it back to stock get the h2b kit and swap it in and then decide if I wanna go f.i or na cause I cant make up my mind and I wanna try the h22 and see what I like.

I will be buying more parts when I get paid again I think I will either buy the ecu/harness, tranny, mounts, or h2b kit.

To give you a Idea of the car, heres what I am working with.

1997 Honda Civic DX Hatchback.

138xxx miles

Stock.

D16y7

Automatic

I got pedals and such coming from ga so I can start the manual to auto swap while I am swapping the motor.

All pics of the car and motor will be posted tomorrow.

Any input?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright Here are the pics.

Here is the car. (with the car parts still in it.)

The car itself

2010-04-03145210.jpg

2010-04-03145150.jpg

2010-04-03145140.jpg

2010-04-03145127.jpg

2010-04-03145248.jpg

Flat black front end from previous owner

2010-04-03145229.jpg

Messed up Door Lock Drivers side.

2010-04-03145352.jpg

The motor in the car

2010-04-03145528.jpg

2010-04-03145544.jpg

Surface rust from Minnesota nothing bad I checked everywhere.

2010-04-03145632.jpg

Random interior shots

2010-04-03144945.jpg

2010-04-03144936.jpg

2010-04-03144955.jpg

Enough about that. Now the motor.

Block and head

2010-04-03144307.jpg

JDM BABY!!

2010-04-03144318.jpg

Cylinder walls. Still smooth and still has fresh oil on it still.

2010-04-03144340.jpg

Pistons

2010-04-03144452.jpg

2010-04-03144504.jpg

Head

2010-04-03144729.jpg

Valve Cover

2010-04-03011854.jpg

Intake mani and random boxes of parts.

2010-04-03144549.jpg

2010-04-03144638.jpg

Well this outta keep people occupied. Might get a del sol if I trade this girl for my ek. But I am still focusing on the ek until something happens with this trade.

I will start a rebuild soon. Just gotta order all the parts. What do you guys think.

me likey :drool: if you trade for the sol are you keepin the h22?

i rode with a buddy of mine who had a jdm h22a in a 4th gen prelude. all he had was i/h/e and it was fast. he said he had a spoon built tranny but he liked to strech the truth sometimes lol. the hatch or sol will be alot lighter than the prelude so im sure itll get up and go quicker than the one i rode in.

cant wait to see more on your build

NICE!!! this is exactly what i want to do with my car

except i dont have the funds to do it yet.... i cant wait to see how this turns out

good luck! as for trading it... dont trade it ek hatches are too nice to trade for anything lol

Thanks guys. i am keeping the h22a for whatever car I get. Either the ek or del sol with get it. Right now I am doing parts sorting to figure out what I have and dont have when it comes to parts. I have most of the senors and such. I am still need of a ecu, harness, tranny, mounts little nick nacks like dual core rad and if I got h2b like planned then the h2b kit and shift rods and such. I got simple plans for this. with a h2b kit I am looking to run 12.8 to a low 13 in the 1/4 mile. Thats what I am aiming for. I have seen it done with a stock h22 and a b16 tranny.

And the comment about the del sol crack house. I used to live in that house thank you. Hell my sig. contains a pic of my old beloved del sol.

he has an ek... doesnt he?

He has an EJ6.

If he was rolling an EK9 he'd be sitting on a rare, right hand drive hatchback straight outta' Japan with God knows what other goodies..but.. seeing as it ISN'T..tis be the EEE JAY SIX YO.

well if u wanna get techincal yes EJ but hey it's all good. can't wait to see the build and how it all go's down. keep us posted and awsome way to make a come back :)

And the comment about the del sol crack house. I used to live in that house thank you. Hell my sig. contains a pic of my old beloved del sol.

i kno. if i had a job id be in the house as well lol.

saving stangers bens right. it confuses alot of people. like 92-95 civic coupes are ej2, dc integras are most of the time dc4s i believe. someone correct me if im wrong.

eg8s are usdm 92-95 civic sedans while eg9s are 92-95 jdm sedans

back to original topic. when will you find out if she wants to trade? or is it up to you?

Awww come on ben at least I can hope and dream about having a real ek. I have never seen a real jdm ek in the states on jdm eg's and 240sx's haha.

Man sounds like I got a few people following this build and I JUST started it.

I will admit this is a good way to come back.

The only problem with me trading for the del sol is I bought the car from a dealership (dont worry I got a good deal, talked them a grand off blue book valve.)

but instead of buying it out right for 3k I decided to finance the 3k for only a year. and I just bought the car. Her del sol is paid off and she has the title. Mine isnt and I have no title and it hasnt been 6 months so no way of refinancing so soon so I could get the title. I know she needs the car cause of her kid and she LOVES hatchbacks and wants a civic. So until I can figure something out... I am sticking with ek.

H22 power FTW

I will be going h2b on this for LOTS of good reasons. Yeah the kit is a good chunk of change but for the ease of this swap and the reliability of the b series tranny, axels, shift linkage, and mounts it will be so much better. Like how the motor also sits straight up instead at a angle like a traditional h22 swap and the ek and eg take better to a b series swap then a h series and I dont have hassle with shift cables and the results of the h2b 1/4 wise are another reason.

anyways. back to parts sorting.

i kno. if i had a job id be in the house as well lol.

saving stangers bens right. it confuses alot of people. like 92-95 civic coupes are ej2, dc integras are most of the time dc4s i believe. someone correct me if im wrong.

eg8s are usdm 92-95 civic sedans while eg9s are 92-95 jdm sedans

back to original topic. when will you find out if she wants to trade? or is it up to you?

yeah i know its just no one gets all technical around here lol... still used to saying ek and eg... thanks for the info though....

back to the thread topic... id say dont trade it. stick to your hatch...im sure she could find another car you could even help her out, its just ahh i love hatches

i would never trade mine unless someone offers me their car with a swap in it already.. even then id have to think about it lol

that car looks pretty clean.

how much did you pick it up for? and clean title?

think he said 3k... but hes paying it in payments over the year...

but yeah love that ek on your sig lol........oh sorry people sorry! i mean ej6 =]

I decided to keep the ek hatch. Her del sol is not worth the trade. too many problems compared to mine. plus I rather have a black car then a green one. no offense to ppl who own green cars haha.

The title is clean, I owe 3k on it and it will be paid off next year. so no worries. I should have the engine together and such by then. I considering saving money and buying that h2b kit cause that the most expensive piece. besides aftermarket mounts cause these stock ones wont cut the h series torque haha :)

adam I hope to have a ek like yours. A clean setup with si parts and slammed. Thats what I want out of this hatch.

the auto to 5 speed should be easy since I am replacing the whole motor and tranny. the hardest thing will be putting the 5speed pedals.

The hardest part I having now while I am still researching is finding a good service manual on that h22a. I found the 92-96 one of the prelude and it covers the h23, f22, and f23. the euro one covers the h22a2 that is closest I can get. the one covering the h22a1 has like 5 pages on the motor and thats it. if anybody wants to shine light on this situation then that would be fantastic.

I decided to keep the ek hatch. Her del sol is not worth the trade. too many problems compared to mine. plus I rather have a black car then a green one. no offense to ppl who own green cars haha.

The title is clean, I owe 3k on it and it will be paid off next year. so no worries. I should have the engine together and such by then. I considering saving money and buying that h2b kit cause that the most expensive piece. besides aftermarket mounts cause these stock ones wont cut the h series torque haha smile.gif

adam I hope to have a ek like yours. A clean setup with si parts and slammed. Thats what I want out of this hatch.

the auto to 5 speed should be easy since I am replacing the whole motor and tranny. the hardest thing will be putting the 5speed pedals.

The hardest part I having now while I am still researching is finding a good service manual on that h22a. I found the 92-96 one of the prelude and it covers the h23, f22, and f23. the euro one covers the h22a2 that is closest I can get. the one covering the h22a1 has like 5 pages on the motor and thats it. if anybody wants to shine light on this situation then that would be fantastic.

please post pics of the entire rebuild. i love seein motors taken apart, and put back together and seein how well they run.

try hondahookup.com. i think they may have info about your motor. iv only used the site once for a wiring diagram. maybe hondatech can help?

please post pics of the entire rebuild. i love seein motors taken apart, and put back together and seein how well they run.

try hondahookup.com. i think they may have info about your motor. iv only used the site once for a wiring diagram. maybe hondatech can help?

Oh dont worry on that. I am a pic whore when It comes to pics of my car or anything to do with it. I am just afraid of posting too many pics haha.

I will check them out. I also just need to find some missing bolts because the head is missing a few and so is the block. I will snatch them up when I hit the yard.

Once I get a engine start and such I get it a garage I will post pics and such.

Now question time again. I am considering ordering new bearings and piston rings so everything will be fresh when I start the rebuild. The question is should I order h22a1 ones or are the jdm ones different? curious to see if anybody knows. I am searching as I speak

NICE!!! this is exactly what i want to do with my car

except i dont have the funds to do it yet.... i cant wait to see how this turns out

good luck! as for trading it... dont trade it ek hatches are too nice to trade for anything lol

i love every honda besides del sols ahahahah there look so funny

I finally found a service manual with the whole h22a1 section in it. I will be using it to help with the build up of the motor. I will be picking up a new engine stand when I get paid again so i dont think much more posting about the project will go down. I will still be parts shopping and everything so its not like I wont be doing anything. Just also looking for more deals for the car mainly a b series tranny and such

I am also going to look for a second job so I can get this project moving even faster.

I finally found a service manual with the whole h22a1 section in it. I will be using it to help with the build up of the motor. I will be picking up a new engine stand when I get paid again so i dont think much more posting about the project will go down. I will still be parts shopping and everything so its not like I wont be doing anything. Just also looking for more deals for the car mainly a b series tranny and such

I am also going to look for a second job so I can get this project moving even faster.

sweet..good luck on this project...im really looking forward to see the outcome

take your time on it and it will turn out sexy ass hell lol

are you planning on keeping it black? or not thinking that much ahead yet?

Archived