Repairing Rust on Civic

wavey

new to the forum

I bought a 95 Civic for $500, drives good, only thing that there was rust..

Here are some pics of the rust..

Driver side 1/4 panel:

rust1.jpg

Passenger side 1/4 panel:

rust2.jpg

Near Gas cap (have never seen this before.. asked many people who own a civic and none have had any there before):

rust3.jpg

Now also the Driver and Passenger doors have rust along the bottom.. this picture is of the driver door.. it is alot worse than the passenger side:

rust4.jpg

For fixing it.. here are my opions.. I just dont really know what is best/fastest and not spending alot of stacks..

- 1/4 panels.. will most likely have them cut out and new ones welded on.. however, would it be better to have this done at a shop since I dont really know what I am doing?.. if I try to do it myself I will prob. mess up and end up spending more $ and alot more time.

Does anyone have a guess at the price that work would be at a shop?

- Gas cap rust.. I dont think this can be cut out? So this is probably the only spot on the car I am thinking of using Bondo on.. remove all the rust and just use bondo to cover it up.. any other options?

- Doors.. I found stuff on the net showing how to fix these exact spots but Im thinking thats alot of time and money.. the rust on the driver side is pretty bad.. my main option is to buy doors from the same Civic at a scrap yard that are in way better condition.. Im thinking its the fastest and cheapest method.

Any thoughts/advice....

Your fastest cheapest method will be just getting different parts and putting them on.

As far as the gas cap area, wont that come with the new rear 1/4 panel?

Depending on where you buy the repair panels from you may or may not get the gas door assembly. In the full sized Honda OEM part the gas door cutout it part of the panel. Some of the cheaper places will just sell you the wheel arch only.

Just buy new doors. You would need to paint the current ones after rust repair anyway. New set of doors from the yard or CL should run you from $50-$100 as long as you don't need the interior panels as well.

Never used that site before but you should definitely check out http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ if youre looking for new parts rather than from a junk yard.

I just checked that out.. looks good but its kind of expensive.. not looking to spend that much money on a few parts.. a door on there is 500$..

@Xeryon.. your probably right... btw what is CL stand for? sorry lol

so say I just get the wheel arch.. and do Bondo on the gas door part? you think thats a good idea?

Also, the reason as to why many cars will rust at the gas cap is from fuel. Fuel eats away your paint and when you don't properly allow for the nozzle to completely drain you get an oz. or so spilled in that area.

newspaper and bondo.. what.. no one else thought of that? :D

newspaper and bondo?? lol...

Also, the reason as to why many cars will rust at the gas cap is from fuel. Fuel eats away your paint and when you don't properly allow for the nozzle to completely drain you get an oz. or so spilled in that area.

still a surprise that whoever owned the car before me allowed it to drip there that many times.. its a pretty nice rust spot..

im going to try to look for the peice that will go up to the gas cap.. i know someone who welds so im good with that. if anyone finds a good place to get the part for a decent price please post it here.

Archived