car sputters & lacks power

just took out a d15 and put in a d16z6 starts but has slight sputter changed everything i can think of fuel filter,rotor,dizzy,(didn't come on the motor),cap,plugs,wires,pcv valve didn't have a iac valve got from some guy not sure if its the right one.took it around the block just seems like it has no power hooked up the vtec to ecu it has a p28.just completely lost waiting on someone to check my timing i doint have a gun.did it with a long screw driver,may the wrong dizzy it calls for 2 differen kinds hell clueless all help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

ok i had the same problem when i did mine and it was my timing but i didnt use a gun if you have a hanse manuall then you can look it up in there and it has the timing marks on the cam gear and on the bottom of the drive pully just check them to. but thats about all i can think of at the time. ooooo you can also advance your time by lossing the dizzy and turning it to the front of the car a little. that may help. but the car will run a little hotter. but check your timing first

i dont know what kind of plugs you got but if you gaped them wrong if you had to then that may have done it but still think it could be your timing

Yeah that's what I thought so I called orileys a checked and I also rechecks the gap even though they were pre tapped all I can think of is the timing

i would i mean when i did mine. the motor had set for like a year so it was sucking really bad so yea it sucks but they did something with the timing and it was running better but it will all be good you will get it runnning

just took out a d15 and put in a d16z6 starts but has slight sputter changed everything i can think of fuel filter,rotor,dizzy,(didn't come on the motor),cap,plugs,wires,pcv valve didn't have a iac valve got from some guy not sure if its the right one.took it around the block just seems like it has no power hooked up the vtec to ecu it has a p28.just completely lost waiting on someone to check my timing i doint have a gun.did it with a long screw driver,may the wrong dizzy it calls for 2 different kinds hell clueless all help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

1) do you have the right ecu

2) is the wiring correct (even if you say yes go check it again)

3) if it was timing it would be missing like hell not just sputtering.. but your sputter could be my missing (any backfire sound etc?).. and the screwdriver trick is my fav. cause you never know if someone took off a gear and didnt put it back on perfect with the lines.. BUT it might be 180 out.. but it shouldnt run at all then i think.. put it to TDC and make sure the dizzy is lined up right

4) if its sputtering you missed a major thing.. FUEL INJECTORS.. dirty injectors are bad

and the IAC would actually only affect the car warmed up.. normally it has a crazy surge in the idle and doesnt mess with detonation

also.. make your your map sensor and tps are hooked up right.. they have the same plug and sometimes people hook them up backwards

and the IAC plug and the other one on the back of the motor (around the intake mani) can be swapped around on accident.. normally that results in a surging idle but it could be something to check

i dont know what kind of plugs you got but if you gaped them wrong if you had to then that may have done it but still think it could be your timing

plugs for d's come pregapped

I just noticed your original post about the wiring etc... you might need some serious help about wiring and ecu's unless you figured it out and KNOW FOR SURE its right

I'm gonna really check all my plugs after work tomorrow make sure they're right and I got a pictures of the vtec to ecu I hope it's right maybe the injectors are clogged it always helps with a second opinion Thanks a lot guys keep em coming

1) do you have the right ecu

2) is the wiring correct (even if you say yes go check it again)

3) if it was timing it would be missing like hell not just sputtering.. but your sputter could be my missing (any backfire sound etc?).. and the screwdriver trick is my fav. cause you never know if someone took off a gear and didnt put it back on perfect with the lines.. BUT it might be 180 out.. but it shouldnt run at all then i think.. put it to TDC and make sure the dizzy is lined up right

4) if its sputtering you missed a major thing.. FUEL INJECTORS.. dirty injectors are bad

and the IAC would actually only affect the car warmed up.. normally it has a crazy surge in the idle and doesnt mess with detonation

also.. make your your map sensor and tps are hooked up right.. they have the same plug and sometimes people hook them up backwards

and the IAC plug and the other one on the back of the motor (around the intake mani) can be swapped around on accident.. normally that results in a surging idle but it could be something to check

plugs for d's come pregapped

I just noticed your original post about the wiring etc... you might need some serious help about wiring and ecu's unless you figured it out and KNOW FOR SURE its right

im about 99% sure that it could not be 180 bc i think that the dizzy will only go on one way..... but not 100% sure but just about there

you must not know much then.. you can easily set a car 180 out

well when i had my d16z6 it would only go on one way bc i had the same promble and someone said the same thing to me so i dont konw maybe if you hvae a d then you can go see and post a video of it and show me that it can be that way thank you..

yah im going to go pull my dizzy and f up my timing to prove something to you?

i think not

but i will try to explain something to you.. hopefully it isnt too hard:

the DISTRIBUTOR can be turned.. very easily

you CAN insert the dizzy 180 out.. you have to check where the rotor is under the cap

if you pull your dizzy out and then put it back in.. of course it will be in the same spot

if your motor didnt come with a dizzy (such as the OP) then he could have mistakenly put the dizzy on wrong.. but as i said before if it was 180 out then it probably wouldnt run at all

please do RESEARCH before trying to tell someone with a problem how to fix it or telling me I'm wrong when i am not

anyway I'm still going with a wiring issue or an ECU issue

okay so i checked my plugs even swapped them around and check engine light comes on and even checked my vtec to ecu wires i have a picture diagram looks right.by any chance the plug that goes into the front of the exhaust manifold (sensor i think) well i took it off of the d15b7 1.5l and put it on the d16z6 1.6l...would that make it sputter?please people this thing is driving me coo coo :crazy: oh yeah my check engine light is not on thanks

Archived