My Slow 92 VX build

EDDIE Z

I'm interested in painting my valve cover. I know what paint and everything I need. My question is can I just slap it back on or does it need a certain amount of pressure to bolt back on. I also know I need new gasket after removing to paint. And is it safe to leave the motor withought the cover for awhile? Looked around on honda-tech can't rly find the answer all I can find is how to properly paint the cover.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can reuse the VC gasket as long as it is in good condition. I am sure there are specific torque settings for a VC, but that assembly is not a high pressure location. Snug tightened would be sufficient.

Hell, my car had one of the spark plug wires under the VC and through the gasket for years when I bought it. I didn't even have to replace the cable or the gasket. Just cleaned it off and worked fine.

As for leaving it open, the day or so it would be exposed isn't going to hurt much. You could rest another VC over the motor if you have a second one sitting around. If it were me I would just drape an oil rag over it or use a plastic garbage bag to keep dust or moisture out.

You can reuse the VC gasket as long as it is in good condition. I am sure there are specific torque settings for a VC, but that assembly is not a high pressure location. Snug tightened would be sufficient.

Hell, my car had one of the spark plug wires under the VC and through the gasket for years when I bought it. I didn't even have to replace the cable or the gasket. Just cleaned it off and worked fine.

As for leaving it open, the day or so it would be exposed isn't going to hurt much. You could rest another VC over the motor if you have a second one sitting around. If it were me I would just drape an oil rag over it or use a plastic garbage bag to keep dust or moisture out.

Thnx all good advice so no specific torque when putting the VC back on just nice and tight? I'll prob replace the gasket to be safe.

lol wut? he is asking about the VC torque specs im sure.

its like 8 lbs to torque them at. anything much more, and you will be stripping sh1t.

haha oh yeah wrong bolts. that wouldve been fun. haynes is like 7.2 i think

I usually do 110 in-lbs on my valve cover

I keep a plastic bag over the crankcase when it's open. Dont use a rag, it could leave lint particles in the motor. (not enough to mess anything up, but it's better to be safe)

All good info thnx guys. Anyone have a good write up on installing groundcontrol coilovers? Was looking for some info all I found is installing with tokiko blues or yellows just want GC installation. Any tools I need besides spring compressor any special tools.

might break a few bolt on the rear lca's. just have some spares in case.

iv heard this happens alot tbh. google majestic honda and type in all the info and order some replacements. better to be safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

looks good man. your on the same track im on,

i have my mud flaps on, will be getting a CF duckbill with LED third brake light, and fog lights to follow

whats next on the list other than that for you?

looks good man. your on the same track im on,

i have my mud flaps on, will be getting a CF duckbill with LED third brake light, and fog lights to follow

whats next on the list other than that for you?

Nice I'm not goin for the carbon wing. Didn't know u had flaps till I saw ur rims on haha. I have no choice but to buy new ones bin going to the junk yard none stop can't find any. Well for winter just goin for duckbill flaps and before winter rly hits side markers. That will be all for winter

Was at the mall came out and my car window was gone the idiots couldnt figure out how to take my stereo flip out screen just got my ipod and made a mess of my glove box. hope I never catch them :mad:

2wqbx2o.jpg

dq0gt3.jpg

Archived