91 with 15 mpg

lbscott2002

i have recently replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, cleaned iacv and egr valves front of throttle body, replaced thermostat. i didn't do all of it at the same time or in that order. I noticed my loss of mpg's right after i used some gumout fuel injector cleaner. would that be the problem? maybe it instead clogged it up more?

i recently bought this car, so obviously the guy before me didn't keep it up to date or anything.

also i've been having a problem that happens occasionally. at times when i am driving my car will not accelerate and the tachometer won't go higher either unless i put the pedal all the way down. it doesn't happen at any certain times, sometimes on take off ( it will take off extremely slow in this case and will go up to maybe 20 or 25 and won't go higher) or it will be on normal streets at about 40 or even on the highway at 55 or 65. it won't accelerate for about a 20 seconds then it will go back to normal and sometimes the check engine light will come on right after it stops acting up. when the engine light is on it works perfectly. could these two be related somehow?

i started replacing things because the second problem and the poor mpg occured during the middle of all the changes.

i'm sorry if this is confusing, just typing as i think it.

The Check Engine Light, stumbling acceleration, and poor fuel efficiency may all be related. Pull the CEL codes and let us know what you find.

i've been wanting to do that.

but the autozone in town here can't do it for the year of my car.

and it costs over 100 dollars just for them to check, i don't got it right now. (taxes)

clogged fuel filter? clogged fuel pump sock? fuel lines clogged?

try that stuff from lucas oil that you add to your oil when you change it. makes some difference

alright i'll try that soon, see what it does.

Paperclips are cheap, use that. Look under your passenger side glove box. You are looking for a blue connector like you see below. Stick a paperclip into the blue connector to close the diagnostic circuit, then turn the key until the dash lights come on. Long flashes are 10, short flashes 1. Do a search on how to pull ECU codes if you need more info.

Let us know what code(s) you have stored in the ECU.

390807_49_full.jpg

Paperclips are cheap, use that. Look under your passenger side glove box. You are looking for a blue connector like you see below. Stick a paperclip into the blue connector to close the diagnostic circuit, then turn the key until the dash lights come on. Long flashes are 10, short flashes 1. Do a search on how to pull ECU codes if you need more info.

Let us know what code(s) you have stored in the ECU.

390807_49_full.jpg

oh crap, that's tight.

haha

well i got a 43.

according to that site it's the fuel supply system code?

what exactly is that.

like the fuel pump and fuel injectors?

probably change your fuel filter first.. pump is obviously working

also I would go to the store and pick up some seafoam and follow the directions to mix it with your gas.. and probably clean the intake system while your at it

Considering you worked on your fuel system before the check engine light came on, I have to say that you didn't do something right. I have done this before, for me I left a ground bolt loose and cause all kinds of havoc. Retrace your steps, re-inspect everything you touched and take your time. If you do not find anything, check again, you missed it. I put my hand on that ground bolt of mine at least three times before I realized it was just loose enough to kill the ECU intermittently.

Also, try to have someone with you and a fire extinguisher. Try looking things over while the car is running in case you have a fuel leak. I had a hunch when I first read the thread title that you have a fuel leak, now I'm even more confident this is what you are dealing with. Perhaps you just pulled something loose, or maybe the fuel filter itself is leaking.

Considering you worked on your fuel system before the check engine light came on, I have to say that you didn't do something right. I have done this before, for me I left a ground bolt loose and cause all kinds of havoc. Retrace your steps, re-inspect everything you touched and take your time. If you do not find anything, check again, you missed it. I put my hand on that ground bolt of mine at least three times before I realized it was just loose enough to kill the ECU intermittently.

Also, try to have someone with you and a fire extinguisher. Try looking things over while the car is running in case you have a fuel leak. I had a hunch when I first read the thread title that you have a fuel leak, now I'm even more confident this is what you are dealing with. Perhaps you just pulled something loose, or maybe the fuel filter itself is leaking.

that would make sense for my loss of gas mileage, but not the others? i lost gas mileage in the middle of all this mess.

however, after i did change the fuel filter the first time the following day i checked it because i smelt some fuel and i did have a leak there, so i unscrewed it (after relieving the fuel pressure of coarse) and re screwed it. since then i've felt around it a few times and haven't felt any wetness again, but i'll check again on wednesday along with the fuel rail and fuel pump.

Archived