Buying Used Civic - Need Advice

I'm looking at a certified 2007 Civic LX Sedan. The car is in great condition and only has 14,000 miles on it. There are 17 and 53 months left on the respective warranties. The original sticker price on the car was $16,995, but once I was at the dealership, they gave me a price of $15,775. I'm sure I can get the price knocked down a little more, but I'm not sure by how much. The KBB private party value is $15,285 and the retail value is $17,435. My total at the current price would be $16,990 including fees, a new plate, tax, etc. I was planning on calling the dealership tomorrow and offering $16,250, thinking that I can get the total knocked down to $16,500. Assuming I can get the car for $16,500, does it seem like a pretty good deal, or should I be shooting for an even lower price?

I would really appreciate any advice. My car was totaled a couple weeks ago and my insurance will only pay for a rental through this Saturday, meaning that I need to find something quick.

Wait, I think you could get a brand new Honda Civic for less than this...no? www.honda.com

You may have chosen the Civic Sedan, but if you were cool with another car, the Fit would be even cheaper than this.

Shoot for lower as a starting point and haggle up...

It also depends on how you are paying. If you were to pay cash completely, you could knock the price down a lot more. If you are putting a bigger down payment, you can also push for a lower price.

Also, compare other dealers around...sort of like "price matching"...GL :)

Wait, I think you could get a brand new Honda Civic for less than this...no? www.honda.com

You may have chosen the Civic Sedan, but if you were cool with another car, the Fit would be even cheaper than this.

Shoot for lower as a starting point and haggle up...

It also depends on how you are paying. If you were to pay cash completely, you could knock the price down a lot more. If you are putting a bigger down payment, you can also push for a lower price.

Also, compare other dealers around...sort of like "price matching"...GL :)

I've contacted a number of dealerships and they've all quoted me an out-the-door price of around $19,200 on new Civic LX. Anyway, after a couple phone calls I got the price on the '07 down to $16,600. I know it's only $2500 difference, but I hate spending money and I'll take whatever savings I can get. I'm picking up the car later this afternoon.

Well . . . I got a call about 20 minutes before I was leaving to pick up the '07 from another dealership that I stopped at earlier in the week. They had a new '09 that I ended up getting for $18,200 out the door. So I guess I split the difference. I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Archived