speeding up your 1995 honda civic dx/ex

i was wondering if there was any performance exhausts that do not attract attention (loud/noisy)

and also, the best mods for set spending intervals

for example best mods if you only have $150, $300 and $500

im all about getting to 60mph as fast as possible, nothing else really but preferably without damaing my gas mileage too bad

if theree are no quiet exhaust systems then please leave them out of the 150 300 and 50 set spending intervals unless they really effect 0-60 that much  because thats the only way i'd consider it i think :\ i dont want to be a cop magnet

thansk so much

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With those set spending levels the only (legal) exhaust mods you can do are the ones that will result in more noise and little gain in performance. Even with a good setup you are not going to get much as your car only requires so much exhaust flow in the first place..extra capacity does not equal more performance. Getting a better 0 - 60 without doing anything drastic....change the final drive ratio? No idea if you could find the parts and the labor for under $500 though. A solid ECU tune optimized for premium fuel could also work.

to be quite honest, it's such an old technology, you are wasting your $. Save your $ for a better car or an engine swap. The D16Z6 (EX) is nothing compared to newer cars on the market.

sohc, variable valve timing and lift control is ahead of MANY cars on the market today, its just a tiny engine. with the OP's budget, any kind of "performance" upgrade would not really net performance, just noise. is the budget you mentioned how much you can give up at all, per month, per year? $500 can get you a descent amount of power if you try putting together mediocre parts. the sum of the mediocre parts will probably get you more than 1 expensive part. for example $500 exhaust vs a homemade 2" exhaust with a series of mufflers/resonators, hooked up to an ebay header, and a ebay CAI tube with a descent filter/velocity stack, and other random stuff. your budget wont help much, hell $500 should get you a little less than 6 months worth of gas.

well really i have a bunch of money saved just only so much im willing to spend to go fast

i dont really race, dont want the ticket or doing so, its just more fun to drive a car that can get to 60 in 6 seconds rather than one that only can do about 8 or 9

makes the ride a lot more enjoyable for me.

maybe ill just wait on the whole performance thing till another car

any guess really on possibly how much faster $500 could get me to 60 if done right?

thanks a lot everyone

any guess really on possibly how much faster $500 could get me to 60 if done right?

Yeah $500 on a budget nitrous setup is about the best option you have if 0 - 60 is all you worry about... :laugh: Really I'd just use the $500 to keep that car in top shape so you can get the most out of it when you decide to sell it. Or keep that car and save that money for another car with a bit more performance pedigree where money spent on performance parts gives a better return on investment. You are asking to shave off almost 33% off the 0 - 60 time....that's a lot.

true. thanks alot. ur not the first to say save your money so i think i will. maybe just pick up a new car, i got the cash

2007 i think it was, totoya solara is about the 0-60 im lookin for, that thing was fracking fun to drive

2003 lancer ES too is pretty nice

both stock as frack.

lancer it said like 9-10 seconds though so that cant be right to 60mph

solara though i think was like....i wanna say 6 but 6 is pretty fracking quick if i remember right

true. thanks alot. ur not the first to say save your money so i think i will. maybe just pick up a new car, i got the cash

2007 i think it was, totoya solara is about the 0-60 im lookin for, that thing was fracking fun to drive

both stock as frack.

solara though i think was like....i wanna say 6 but 6 is pretty fracking quick if i remember right

the lancers are homo, i beat on in my mom's hyundai sonata, with 2 other ppl in the car. idk how the solara is.

both stock as frack.

Is this something you'd actually consider putting money into performance wise or do you want a decently responsive daily car? Hell a new Camry has 260+ hp, Maxima's as well but I'd wouldn't put money into either. Find a better RWD platform like a S2K, Lexus IS series, Mustang, Camaro, maybe even a used BMW if you want to sink money into it. A used 350Z/G35 would be a decent deal too.

my lude can do 0-60 in 7 and its stock besides the rubber and intake....

the s2k would prob do 5-6 0-60mph

nsx(honda/acura) would prob do 7-9

just need to no how to launch the car right but its all up to u rly. hell go buy your self an old bug and swap a spoon engine in it and boost the crap out of it for all i care

idk may be homo but ive never driven a honda that fast stock.

yeah id be more likely to put money into a newer car performance wise especially if it didnt mean making it loud and noticeable

the sonata was slower than my civic, yet it beat one of those lancers, and i had 2 other big guys like myself int he car with me. it was the 4 cylinder sonata and seemed to make a new grind or clunk every time i drove it. basically, the lancer got beat by an epic p.o.s. The lancer is much slower than a civic. and wtf at an nsx only doing 0-60 in 7-9seconds? my civic does 0-60 in 8-9.

no offense but i dont like preludes, s2k is alot more money than a 2003 ES if i remember right (also ugly), NSX is too much money too

all im saying is for the money..im not sure ur finding a stock honda as cheap as an 03 lancer es

oh and f*ck a bug haha

thanks all.

anyone got any experiences with cheap rims? those $80-$100 odllar each ones?

not very much because of how cheap i got this DX for

i cant really justify spending much more than i paid for this...which is perfect if this car comes thru tomorrow

1995 honda civic lx/ex 1.6L vtec 130k for 1500

guy needs money for an apartment, cars got brand new EVERYTHING head gasket, cat, water pump serpentine belt, everything.

was overheating, blew the head gasket so they replaced everything

gonna check to see if theres anything i should be watching out tho for a car with that kind of "story"

1500 is ridiculously cheap

i mean i paid 1300 for a 119k honda civic DX....but..this things got brand new everything (that wasnt even the beginning of the list of new stuff), rims, etc. but maybe his story really is true.

i hate wrx's so much, im actually curious what other cars are as quick around $4000 with around 100k

id hate to drive a girl car but holy sh*t . i seen a 100k 1999 turbo eclipse for $3000, i heard hte 0-60 is like ...7 seconds? was it? 6.5?

that snutss.

not very much because of how cheap i got this DX for

i cant really justify spending much more than i paid for this...which is perfect if this car comes thru tomorrow

1995 honda civic lx/ex 1.6L vtec 130k for 1500

guy needs money for an apartment, cars got brand new EVERYTHING head gasket, cat, water pump serpentine belt, everything.

was overheating, blew the head gasket so they replaced everything

gonna check to see if theres anything i should be watching out tho for a car with that kind of "story"

1500 is ridiculously cheap

i mean i paid 1300 for a 119k honda civic DX....but..this things got brand new everything (that wasnt even the beginning of the list of new stuff), rims, etc. but maybe his story really is true.

i hate wrx's so much, im actually curious what other cars are as quick around $4000 with around 100k

id hate to drive a girl car but holy sh*t . i seen a 100k 1999 turbo eclipse for $3000, i heard hte 0-60 is like ...7 seconds? was it? 6.5?

that snutss.

take the head off and see if it has any cracks, warped, or pits. youll have to replace headgasket again tho

i suck with cars so i personally wouldnt be able to do this (disabling me from buying the car)

overhaeting causes cracks/warps/pits in the head?

how likely is it that theyre there

is this a car i wanna stay away from if i cant check for cracks/warps/pits before i buy it?

if your budget is $4k, and you are paying only $1500 for it, then i wouldn't worry too much about a bad motor since you have plenty of money left over to replace anything. that is assuming the rest of the car doesn't need much work.

nah budget isnt really 4k anymore

i was curious bout 4k cars cuz thats possible whats next in a year or so

im only lookin to spend about what i paid for this car

plus a paintjob

assuming it needs as much body work as the last one, that puts me up to 2500

right what i paid for this.

can someone answer my question about the head please? this cars gonna sell quick if i dont act.

you can try and see if there are any cracks or anything on the outside of the block. check for leaks, if the seals are supposedly good then a major overheat could have warped something. how badly did the seller say it overheated because that can be a pretty broad term.

Archived