Driver side door wont open

rambleon84

Tried to search for this but couldnt come up with anything, point me to other posts if its has been posted before...

That being said, driver side door handle on either side is not working, door will not open. It's getting to be a huge inconvenience jumping over the passenger seat >_< They thing probably just broke, several times in the winter the power locks would freeze up might of lead to this happening(crazy NE Ohio winters!)

Took it to a couple places and the dealership but since they would have to rip to door panel off or drill through it to even look at it they want lots of money to even look at it. If it was a something they could fix easily and give me a set cost I would do that but...

I was thinking about ripping off the door panel myself and seeing what broke inside the door or if the lever just came off the latch.

There is a nasty split in the door panel anyways(where the armrest is) Figured if I could find a door panel on here somewhere or try some junk yards.

Has anyone had this happen, give any suggestions? Also anyone know anyone that may be able to sell me a driver side door panel?

Is there any differences in the different years for door panels, which ones will fit for a 97 si?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated! :)

Only difference in door panels should be those with power locks and those without. Pulling it off isn't really all that hard once you know what you're doing. It's just 2 screws, one in the latch and one back under the armrest handle. There's a plastic cover under the panel that's glued to the door frame that you might have to pull off to get at the interior workings of the door... If you plan on keeping that there be careful with it, it's something like $30 for a new one. Can't even get the passenger side one anymore... Anyway, make sure your window is up before you disconnect that control panel to set the door panel aside. Then grab a flashlight and see what's up. Exterior door handle is held on with 2 bolts and has 2 rods going down the the actual latch mechanism. I'd bet one of the rods got knocked out, or more likely the handle itself broke.

actually there are three screws. there is one at the top right by the small triangle window. after that, its just tabs that hold it on.

That one doesn't hold the panel to the door. I'm pretty sure all it does is hold that little piece in. Might be different with power locks though...

Thanks for the replies everyone, been much help.  I'm stuck moving this weekend so I may not get time to get my hands dirty playing around with the car just yet.

I'll have to see if all of the screws are accessible while the door is shut, lets hope..

Also, thanks for the warning about the glue holding on that panel Orca89.  I was removing my door panel on my focus a couple weekends ago and it has a panel but held on by some nasty black tar type stuff that was fun to mess around with. I had to get to the door handle too(was painting my mirrors to match the rest of the car since ford is cheap and left them black plastic, wanted to do the outside handles as well.) The focus had like a dozen small screws going around the door that had to be removed before getting the panel off, no way would I get that off with out breaking it if the door was stuck shut.

Ill b e sure to follow through with this post when I get to it..

im pretty sure you cant take the door panel off with the door closed. you can take the handle out and try and mess with whatever you can reach from there

Yeah... the front 1/4 of the panel is in behind the dash, and you have to be able to get under it from below...

The cable going to the handle controls the latch, the rod is for the locking mechanism. Although if both interior and exterior handles can't open the door... The problem is most likely with the latch... that or maybe the door is wedged shut somehow? can you hear the latch moving when you operate one of the handles?

im pretty sure you cant take the door panel off with the door closed. you can take the handle out and try and mess with whatever you can reach from there

like airjordan says. take the handle off inside there will be a lil bar and a cable the cable is your latch bar is your lock try pulling bar towards front of car and then pull cable

how ever do not bend the bar it will cause future problems

Archived