dx swap

boostjunkie333

ok this is prob an easy one for you techs and moders....

i see plenty of info out there about the swapping of honda engines...however id like your personal opinions.

i just bought a 94 dx, looking to make it vtec, hoping not to have too much pain in the arse doing the swap, and was wondering what youd do.

i will turbo it so...an engine thats reputable for forced induction would be somehting to consider. 400hp long time goal.

thanks!

ok this is prob an easy one for you techs and moders....

i see plenty of info out there about the swapping of honda engines...however id like your personal opinions.

i just bought a 94 dx, looking to make it vtec, hoping not to have too much pain in the arse doing the swap, and was wondering what youd do.

i will turbo it so...an engine thats reputable for forced induction would be somehting to consider. 400hp long time goal.

thanks!

your cheapest and probably least of a pain swap would be D16Z6 . IMO if built right should be able to handle 400+ hp ( tranny will not however )

b18c1 and gsr tranny will be the most durable. if you are short on cash get a b16a2, its the best bang for the buck. but if you are looking for durability, stay away from ls vtecs. they are plagued by cylinder wall issues

b18c1 and gsr tranny will be the most durable. if you are short on cash get a b16a2, its the best bang for the buck. but if you are looking for durability, stay away from ls vtecs. they are plagued by cylinder wall issues

awesome, thanks

so, either of those engines, with a gsr trans will do the trick?

it would be a lot easier to get 400hp out of a B series than a D

yeah true but he also asked what would be the easiest swap and a d16z6 is byfar easier then any b,h or k swap. less work and alot cheaper

i just hand sorted through all of these engine swap kits they offer on this site, and it seems to me my best option would be the following. what do you guys think? as far as a decent vtec, and ease of install on a 94 dx...is this everything ill need?(im used to dsm, not so up on my honda swapping, but ill learn!)

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...&item=30004

*also, are any of the b series motors more reputable than the other for turbocharged applications

? or are they all about tit for tat

now, let me explain what im doing here...

im looking to buy an engine, tear it down when it gets here, and rebuild it with forged internals. which birngs a few questions to mind.

-for starters, if i get this engine on this site, will the block be in a condition where all I need to do it rebuild, or will I need to do machine work also? like are these engines bone stock?

i just hand sorted through all of these engine swap kits they offer on this site, and it seems to me my best option would be the following. what do you guys think? as far as a decent vtec, and ease of install on a 94 dx...is this everything ill need?(im used to dsm, not so up on my honda swapping, but ill learn!)

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...&item=30004

*also, are any of the b series motors more reputable than the other for turbocharged applications

? or are they all about tit for tat

now, let me explain what im doing here...

im looking to buy an engine, tear it down when it gets here, and rebuild it with forged internals. which birngs a few questions to mind.

-for starters, if i get this engine on this site, will the block be in a condition where all I need to do it rebuild, or will I need to do machine work also? like are these engines bone stock?

ok. that is a good chunk of what you need you'll still need a b series shift linkage, i think ( rear tranny mount ), tranny, axles, im not positive but i believe you need the spindles from a teggy . idk everythig about a B swap im sure some one else could help with a link or knows themselves from personal exp. you'll probably need to spend another grand on top of that for misc. parts and such

yeah true but he also asked what would be the easiest swap and a d16z6 is byfar easier then any b,h or k swap. less work and alot cheaper

b swaps arent hard.. theyre striaght plug and play

ok. that is a good chunk of what you need you'll still need a b series shift linkage, i think ( rear tranny mount ), tranny, axles, im not positive but i believe you need the spindles from a teggy . idk everythig about a B swap im sure some one else could help with a link or knows themselves from personal exp. you'll probably need to spend another grand on top of that for misc. parts and such

he'll need axles (advanced sells them $60 each) im not sure about linkage, his stock linkage might work. i had to get del sol vtec linkage. and he'll need the rear t bracket which is another $60 over night shipped from honda

awesome, thanks

so, either of those engines, with a gsr trans will do the trick?

yep. the C1 is more popular. but the A2 offers more bang for the buck

i had a B18C1 on my coupe Sh1t was amazing!!! i loved it but im going with a B16A2 this time like they said more bang for the buck! :)

true

depends, you can find deals everywhere.. got my full swap for 1950..

you lucky bitch. i cant believe i passed up that EG Gsr hatch for 2000......still eats at me

anything b series is a good thing right? at that point, for my purposes, does it matter which one you actually go with? as long as im not trying to go for maximum hp output

the b18b1 responds best along with the a2 and c1 with boost. the c1 can be made into a pretty fast n/a if you decide not to go boost. so thats a plus. for 400 hp i would go with c1 or b1 if you boost. but youll need a bunch of suspension parts on top of the internal reinforcement of the engine. and some sticky ass tires too. i know ill get hounded for sounding like a puss but if you really want 400 hp in a civic you may want to look into bigger brakes and a roll cage to be safe. things get hairy when you go 300hp +.

oh and either way you need some stiffer shocks up front because of the heavier engine and tranny. that you can get at advanced or junkyard. maybe even CL. all this may seem overwhelming but its really not

ok im in the planning phase, and im shopping random parts online with my decent budget lol...but um, im thinking im going to keep the stock internals and boost it low, but, what are some other things i can do to make the motor itself produce better power? i dont mean this to sound like a silly question, i know all sorts of things you can do, but what i mean is, being that its a honda motor and im new to this, what are some popular choices among honda tuners to do to these motors...while i have it out, b4 i drop it in...

can all the pulleys be replaced relatively easily? will this make a significant improvement over stock, enough that its worth the effort? or is it a pain int he arse and not worth it...things like this im curious about...tips please =)

and another thing...as far as exhaust systems go, im planning on getting an exhaust system b4 the engine swap, just a cat back, but when i DO get the other engine in it, im going to buy a high flow cat and of coarse the turbo kit will prob come with a downpipe.

my question is, will the downpipe that i get for the turbo kit which is for the b-motor, match up with the cat that i get which will attach to the dx catback? im guessing i need to get the dx catback so itll fit right under the car, but im worried when i get the new cat, will it match up to the down pipe? most pictures for parts on websites ar elike stock photos and you cant really get a good idea of whether or not the flanges will be what i need them to be...

also, i narrowed my exhaust system choices down to skunk 2 and apexi...anybody have an opinion or are they about tit for tat?

lol

jsut an opinion, based off of owning some skunk2 products

posters beware, SOMEONE doesnt like u posting just an opinion

so only post if u have worked for either of these companies and know their whole history lol

FAIL

lol, yeah products(shocks) you didnt even put in yourself, it came like that.

and i think most people assume when you post asking a question, your expecting an answer from someone with some automotive background. what did you base your answer on? do you like the name bc it sounds catchy?

and i dont expect a tech who works for the company to tell me how well their product performs, besides, hed be biased. id think whoever answered me probably either owned the parts themselves, or have heard specs on them or knew someone who had them.

(noob alert)

noob? lol

my bad, i just thought this was for opinions as well

in my opinion, i like skunk2

just because i didnt install my shocks doesnt mean i dont like them

and to my understanding, you didnt install your turbo or anything like that into your car so

think we are in the same boat there

but i was saying, if it was up to me, i would get the skunk2

reguardless of wheither or not its just the name, im sure it work just the same with exhaust

i like their products and intend on buying from them in the future

Archived