How reliable is the '97 Del Sol S 1.6L?

reo4ua

Considering buying a 97 DS-S that from appearances has been very well taken care of. One owner and the guy swears it's never been painted (looks like new paint) and has one tiny rust bubble on the fender well. Can't produce maintenance records which concerns me for a 170k mileage vehicle.

Just how hard are these motors to tear up? Owner claims motor has been maintained just as well as the exterior/interior of the car. New catalytic converter (does this mean burned valves??).

Thanks!

Considering buying a 97 DS-S that from appearances has been very well taken care of. One owner and the guy swears it's never been painted (looks like new paint) and has one tiny rust bubble on the fender well. Can't produce maintenance records which concerns me for a 170k mileage vehicle.

Just how hard are these motors to tear up? Owner claims motor has been maintained just as well as the exterior/interior of the car. New catalytic converter (does this mean burned valves??).

Thanks!

New cat could be that it just started falling apart internally, or that its been blowing by oil and collecting in cat, and that took it out. Almost all Hondas with any real miles will use some oil. Mine with 163K uses a half a quart in 3000 miles. Which I consider livable! Any pics, condition of interior, area where Sol is, any work that he says has been done? Amount he is asking if you dont mind answering??

Ummm also do you mean 1.5 liter??

Asking $4k. Inside and out are super clean. I would bet a cleaner one would be very hard to find. You just never know about the engine and I've never owned a honda so I don't know what to expect.

New cat could be that it just started falling apart internally, or that its been blowing by oil and collecting in cat, and that took it out. Almost all Hondas with any real miles will use some oil. Mine with 163K uses a half a quart in 3000 miles. Which I consider livable! Any pics, condition of interior, area where Sol is, any work that he says has been done? Amount he is asking if you dont mind answering??

Asking $4k. Inside and out are super clean. I would bet a cleaner one would be very hard to find. You just never know about the engine and I've never owned a honda so I don't know what to expect.

Is it a S, SI, or Vtec model?? You said its a 1.6, but then said it was a S model??

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6768

HMMMMM...... I am thinking its a 1.5 liter. and not a 1.6??

I saw that. The same link also states at the bottom:

NEW (from Spacemonkey71):

The 96-97 "S" trim had a D16Y7 engine (Civic CX/DX/LX)

I assume the D16 refers to a 1.6? Either way, just curious as to how much punishment they can take and still treat you right.

honda motors can last forever if taken care of properly.

and the good thing, if the motor was beat on, its very inexpensive to swap a new one in. post up some pics of the car. also because there is rust on it, you want to inspect other areas of the car as well. check the trunk under the carpet, the wheel wells, underneath the car, etc.

and the good thing, if the motor was beat on, its very inexpensive to swap a new one in. post up some pics of the car. also because there is rust on it, you want to inspect other areas of the car as well. check the trunk under the carpet, the wheel wells, underneath the car, etc.

Also look around the seat bolts going into floor for rust as well! :thumbsup:

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Oh and I know the people I got my Sol from beat on it, and I have taken good care of it, and I would still drive it coast to coast! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good deal to me, and Hondas tend to be very reliable. Buying it used, you will probably run into a problem or two that will have to be fixed, but it will likely be fairly easy and/or cheap to fix. As for the Cat, they don't die unless something kills them... Odds are it's guts just broke up, but I'd look at it after you take it for a longish drive, if it's glowing you've got a misfire or rich condition... But I find that rather unlikely.

4k is a little steep on the price though. 4k isn't too high for your mileage if the car is in immaculate condition. Unfortunately, rust in the quarter panel is not immaculate condition. Honda vehicles tend to rust from the inside of the wheel well outward. If you can see the rust then it is probably spread all along the inside edge of the wheel well. Inspect it closely. Make sure you know what you are buying.

and the good thing, if the motor was beat on, its very inexpensive to swap a new one in.

how much for a new motor airjordan????

Obviously some rust but should I be worried?

Undercarriage and trunk pics

I have no rust issues in my area, but that is minor compared to alot of them. If you get right on it and take care of it correctly, and under coat the shiit out of it! Any interior and more body shots?

And engine shot! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived