Leaking Head Gasket 97 SI

Zolton

I'm pretty sure I'm leaking compression into the coolant. I've had an ongoing issue with low coolant levels and having to add coolant every few months for the past year. The condition is getting worse of late and the engine has begun to throw code P0302 along with intermittent misfiring under load and stumbleing at idle. I've noted bubbles in the radiators and a smell of combustion in the coolant. Anyway, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be replacing the head gasket real soon so I'm looking for input from you good people who may have found themselves in a similar situation.

Questions that come to mind are: how big of a job is this? Do I need any special tools other than a torque wrench? Should I replace any other gaskets while in there? Ne one know where I can DL the service manual for this job? Should I do the water pump and timing belt while I'm at it? I'd like to make sure this is done correctly so I don't have to do it again. Do I need to replace the head bolts? What type of gasket is best for longevity? Please feel free to offer any advise. thanks all.

Frankly an OEM gasket should do you just fine for most any application. As far as removing it, yes you should do timing belt and water pump while you're in there since they need to be removed to get the head off anyway. Depending on if you try to remove it with the manifolds attached I would also replace the intake and exhaust gaskets. Leaving them on will save you from this, but working with the head while they're attached is a PITA. Just make sure you mark or remember where your TDC is (i.e. don't move any components when the head is off). Definitely replace the bolts or while you're in there replace them with some ARP studs. Better fastening anyway.

There's a bit more to it than just that. If you can't get ahold of a Helms than get your hands on a Haynes manual. It'll help you out quite a bit.

Good luck.

1-how big of a job is this?

2-Do I need any special tools other than a torque wrench?

3-Should I replace any other gaskets while in there?

4-Ne one know where I can DL the service manual for this job?

5-Should I do the water pump and timing belt while I'm at it?

6-Do I need to replace the head bolts?

7-What type of gasket is best for longevity?

1- Its not too bad.. definitely make sure you have enough time to do it and enlist the help of some friends

2- ratchets/torque wrench/etc basic tools

3- go ahead and pick up the manifold gasket so you can unbolt that.. mitch is right about the exhaust manifold needs to come off first

4- go to your local car part store and pick up a haynes manual for it

5- Yes

6- No.. We had to replace the head on mine and take it off and never had to replace the bolts.. you CAN replace it with studs if you want but it should be fine otherwise

7- OEM gaskets work fine

not sure how many miles are on your car but you should think about replacing the thermostat along with waterpump.. a lot of the time failed headgaskets are the result of an overheating motor so i would prevent all of that

and if you have coolant leaking into your oil DO NOT DRIVE IT... horrible idea IMO just asking for a jacked up motor and a locked up bottom end and then you'll be replacing a lot more then a head gasket

Archived