Hello HF folks, ideas on motorcycles

Prangy

So I have not been around for a while, but I feel like I would ask everyone on here instead of a motorcycle website that is supporting one brand. I am in the hunt for my first motorcycle, it is not going to be anything fancy, just want a bike. Now, I noticed yamaha, suzuki, and kawaski is going to fit in my price range, it is going to be a 80's bike I know that. I am only looking to spend about a grand, unless I can find a honda that would be worth it. Now what do you guys think about each brand, pro's and con's? Thanks everyone!

I know the Ninja has a life expectancy of about 1 1/2 years, since the people who ride them are usually speed demons who end up destroying them, and sometimes themselves as well. I'm looking at getting a motorcycle once I get a job, and personally I want a 1983 Honda CX650 custom. Although, based on craigslist, I may end up with an 81 CM400 instead...

But I'd say you probably want a Honda or Yamaha, since Ducatti and Harley are probably out of your price range. (There was a Ducatti for $6k on craigslist at one point... I'd almost be willing to sell my soul for one of those... Never my Sol though. :laugh: )

welcome back :) how you been?

Good idea to get a used bike as a 1st bike :)

I've looked into bikes a lot too and I wouldn't go with a ninja. Many riders, who have been riding bikes for a long time, say the ninja is not something they would want because it's too accident-prone.

Go with Suzuki sv or a Honda. The sv's are cheap when new so used ones would be cheap too and they are great bikes (2 of my friends ride them) :)

GL!

I know the Ninja has a life expectancy of about 1 1/2 years, since the people who ride them are usually speed demons who end up destroying them, and sometimes themselves as well. I'm looking at getting a motorcycle once I get a job, and personally I want a 1983 Honda CX650 custom. Although, based on craigslist, I may end up with an 81 CM400 instead...

But I'd say you probably want a Honda or Yamaha, since Ducatti and Harley are probably out of your price range. (There was a Ducatti for $6k on craigslist at one point... I'd almost be willing to sell my soul for one of those... Never my Sol though. :laugh: )

i had a ninja for my first bike for 2 years then sold it to my friend that had it for a year or so who gave it to his little brother that had it for a little over a year who sold it to some kid that wrecked it, lol.. it was a good bike!

i dont know much about older bikes.. if you were asking about newer bikes i would say a new CBR600 or a ZX6R.. good luck with the bike find :happy:

Ehh.. 80's bikes are so blahh. Bikes in general IMHO looked horribly untill like '96 or so.

Personally, im going after a GSXR 600 or 750 once i land a job. But its gonna be damn near new, so as far as older bikes, i cant really help much.

Good luck findin one you like and ride safe.

Hey everyone, thanks. I found a 1982 yamaha virago with 14,xxx miles on it. selling for around a grand and I really like it, looks like a good starter bike. So I am sure DMV rules for motorcycling are different in different states, but since i am not sure do you know the rules of like getting the license. I read for wisconsin and i cant go tom since it is sunday, but can I just get a permit and learn with that or do I have to take a class and crap. I rather just get a permit I can drive and I am confident I can do a motorcycle I ride a pedal bike in the road so eh. Thanks again.

i dont know who put the idea in your head that ninjas are crap, but they are wrong. My ninja was fine.

since youre looking for your first bike, i say go for a used 450-500cc bike.

it will do 0-60 in 3 seconds but you wont go over 120-135mph on the top end so youre not gonna kill yourself. I dont believe beginner riders should jump onto a machine capable of going 150+ mph as their first bike. its like getting a corvette for a first car.

a 450-500 will also ease you into motorcycle riding because the handling of the larger bikes take a bit of getting used to because it requires you to lean alot more, the 450-500 will keep you sitting upright instead of hunched forward (at least for the most part) which will keep you in a more comfortable position.

after you get used to the bike and ride it for a year or so, sell it then move up to a 600. the difference between a 500 and a 600 is like a civic dx to an s2000, and an nsx for a 750-1000cc bike.

as far as brand. there is nothing wrong with ninjas, they are extremely great quality bikes.

there really is no difference between the bikes performance wise, at least nothing noticeable.

so basically just find one that looks good.

here is what i have except in red:

Ninja 500R

2009_Kawasaki_Ninja_500R.png

bikeandsubaru.jpg

Honda Rebel:

rebel.jpg

Suzuki GS500F:

2007-Suzuki-GS500Fa.jpg

also, take the MSF classes. They saved my life numerous times, and the basic riders course gives you a waiver that once you pass you can go get your motorcycle license. but once you get a bike, take the advanced riders course because they have you use your own bike and it will help you get used to how it feels and handles.

K Thanks everyone. I am not looking at getting a crotch rocket though just so everyone knows and i do not feel like reading to see if I said that. I will be doing a lot of highway longer trips so rather sit up right. K K, I will keep on looking for a bike then, and see what happens I will probably have to wait tell next year to get in a class anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

not a lot of people talk about them or even know how good they look... but I'd suggest a XB9SX for a a mid starter/rider after you learn on your beater bike

400lbs, 900CC V-twin, 90BHP @75lbs tq, they only rev to 6500RPM making the engine last a lot longer and the bike only traps 106MPH making the bike fast where it needs to be... at or a little above the speed limit

plus I think they look and sound like sex

013009bottom.jpg

buell_city_x_xb9sx.jpg

also, when you outgrow it and want something faster, bolt on's and a single camshaft swap is good for quite a bit more BHP and you can grind the camshaft for high RPM while increasing your redline by a couple hundred... this would wake the bike up to older 600CC traps (which is more than enough IMO, the new 600CC's that trap 140MPH are too much for me)

although I'm a little biased because it's going to be my starter bike... plus I understand not many people like the fact a Harley V-Twin is sitting underneath you... I like 'em though

they start at $8,900 brand new... I'm sure you could search used and find them a lot cheaper

I've got an 82 Kawasaki 440 LTD. lol

It's fun. Of course it's my first bike (aside from my old 150cc dirtbike). So I like it a lot. It's a 6speed, it gets like 60 mpg or something, and it cost me $300.

I suggest googling some general beginner bike write ups.

Personally, I wouldn't trust myself on a crotch-rocket. I know I would try to take it like 150 mph and end up killing myself from some random simple mistake.

the Y2K :devil: its powered by a Rolls Royce helicopter engine or a marine turbine engine

but seriously, if you get one and its your first bike, dont go over 600cc. or else your just wishing death. a 1000 cc weights about 400lbs. they arent fun for a first bike

Archived