New Member with a question

TheWingnut

We have a 95 intergraRS, absolutely no frills, that has just started acting up, over 100,000 miles on her. When we start out from a dead start we get a studder for about a seecond or two then everthing is fine. I am thinking fuel filter but I am not a big wrench turner so I don't know, any ideas? If I left out and details I apologize.

Wingnut

All fluids are changed and topped off.

The studder is just when you start out and push the gas peddle for the first two seconds it's like it wants to go but but the is 4-5 little studders then it goes fine, shifts from one gear to the next without studdering.

could be a distributor problem or at the very least a rotor button or cap. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If not, you may as well. That is a possibility also.

Whats all involved with the fuel filter change?

Change the fuel filter to answer your post above... Other then that I would agree with the posts above regarding the distributor and assembly. It could be as stated above or the timing is off slightly, but I would agree with starting with what is posted above regarding cap and rotor.

Also, if you are running cheap aftermarket plugs and/or wires I would start by looking at those as a potential source. On top of that there is a potential that you have a vacuum leak which could be as simple as a 1 dollar hose.

Do what you can to diagnois it and post back with what you have checked before throwing parts at it.

any tips on how to change the fuel filter? What to look out for? After market or Original part? Is the system pressurized? if yes, what to do?

I can fill fluids, change the oil, change brake pads, spark plugs and wires but messing with gasoline is something new to me. Any knowledge would be nice.

wingnut

disconnect your battery... to relieve the fuel system pressure just take off your gas cap... the fuel filter is on the passenger side of the firewall... all you have to do is disconnect your two fuel lines on your filter... unbolt bracket holding your fuel filter on... remove filter! and reverse order to reinstall it...

When the car is off the fuel system only maintains a minor amount of pressure. You will inevitably spill a little, but no more then a splash or so.

disconnect your battery... to relieve the fuel system pressure just take off your gas cap... the fuel filter is on the passenger side of the firewall... all you have to do is disconnect your two fuel lines on your filter... unbolt bracket holding your fuel filter on... remove filter! and reverse order to reinstall it...

Make damn good and sure to use the new copper rings included with new filter! :thumbsup:

Archived