Engine Stumbles on Acceleration

netbret

Help...today my Sol started hesitating upon acceleration. This happens through any gear (5spd) but idles fine. Didn't put any new gas in the tank or changed anything recently.

I didn't start troubleshooting yet but I'm thinking that with 150K on the engine it could be anything from the fuel filter to the cat converter. Any ideas??

Also I did notice a smell out the exhaust when gassing it in the driveway but nothing like a rotten egg smell.

The only recent thing that comes to mind was a tune up about 25K ago (cap, rotor, and plugs). The motor is completely stock (1.5L) and the air filter looks OK. Also the exhaust was replaced from the cat converter back to the tailpipe.

Still running on the original timing belt.

Thanks for the tip...I'll go ahead and get that checked out. I would figure that something like that must be a pain to replace on your own.

I'll keep you posted once I get this done or if something else fixes the issue.

I'm familiar with the basic process of replacing it up to the point the the position of the #1 cyl. being at "top dead center". Does that mean that the cyl #1 needs to be at the top position closest to the plug? Also not sure about keeping the camshaft in the proper position without damaging or bending the valves. Does the cam get "locked in" when the #1 cyl is in the proper position?

I know that one slight error and a simple job can turn out running some major $$.

yes.... TDC (top dead center) is when cyl #1 is at the peak of its travel up. the best way to determin this is with a straw... a long one... like the kind you get at the gas station fountian drinks. take out all your sparkplugs... this will make the enigne easer to turn over. put the straw throu the spark plug hole so it will rest ontop of the #1 piston. then you will need a socket to fit you crankshaft to turn it with a breaker bar untill the staw stops moving up.

So does it matter if (TDC) is on the compression or exhaust stroke? If so, how do you tell or does it matter? Also once TDC is achieved, and all items are removed to get to the belt, is it just a matter of releasing the tension from the belt tensioner to swap out the belt?

it does not matter. when you take off the timing belt you need to make sure you put the cam gear(s) back in the same position. you will want to get everything in postion after you have taken off all the covers and are ready to take the belt off. when you do take the belt off the cam(s) will move alittle bit but dont worry! when you put the belt back on make sure the cam gears are turned back to where they started. Most cam gears have a little hash line on both of them to point somewhere (like most I have messed with they point straight up and are supposted to match up.

Wanted to give an update on my problem. After checking a couple of basic things I found that the spark plugs were pretty worn out. So I went ahead and did a full tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and air filter). I realized it's been about 4 years since my last one after finding an old receipt.

She fired right up and runs PERFECTLY!

I'm still planning on going for the timing belt but at least this bought me some time until I get to the weekend.

thats good to hear. but definitely get that timing belt done, because if that goes, your motor is shot

i can stress this enough CHANGE YOUR WATER PUMP TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

only a few months after i had bought my del sol, it wasnt the timing belt that failed, it was the water pump that seized up, shredding my timing belt and bending valves after timing got off..

make sure you change both!!!

Archived