Swap or build... or neither?

Sooo.. it's official. I miss the power of the 240. I wish i could teach the local ricers lessons in being quick. Too many ricers around here that i used to burn down, now i can barely keep up with them, sadly.

What i'm dealing with - Stock d16y8... completely bone stock.

Should i build it? Ionno, only thing is I don't want to put on an exhaust. I like my car quiet and don't feel like listening to the drone of an engine running at 3.5k rpms every time i feel like hopping on the highway.

I'm looking at intake, header, and TB. Possibly go into the engine and work on higher compression pistons, new cam, and a d15 head. Too bad i'd still only make MAYBE 140 to the wheels, but that's being generous.

Other option is a B series swap. Don't know what swap that i'd be going for. Need to find the cheapest/best bang for the buck deal. I guess b16a2 is the popular option?

I'm really interested in an LS/Vtec setup, because most of all- i'm looking to keep the car N/A.

Last option is do nothing. Leave it stock and slow. Throw some nice wheels on it (any sites that sell some at good prices?) and probably call it a day.

What do you guys think?

you could do a gsr swap. rick said when he had his civic with a gsr and some upgrades he ran high 12s low 13s i think.

discounttiredirect.com for wheels and tires. great prices

i dont think you get much bang for buck with a bseries swap because everyone wants them so if you do get a good motor your paying a decent amount for it.. i can get a rb25det with ecu tranny and everything for the price some people are paying for b18s

you could boost the d series.. wouldnt be too much and it would fun and you could keep your mpg if you kept it out of boost

try discounttire.com or tirerack for wheels and tires.. i got my 17s for like 110 a piece i think.. my brother in law got a steal on his.. i think his were normally like 1k for a set and got them on sale on discount tire for about 400 or something like that

check out dseries.org.. they have some pretty built d series on there.. you could get some ideas if you wanna keep the stock motor.. im sure they probably have a timeslip for a y8 with the mods you listed or something close

I think i'm leaning most towards neither, actually. 380+ miles per tank is awesome. Only thing i will do is for economic or cosmetic purposes, like a lip and wheels, and an intake.

I plan on traveling a lot with this car. Reason why i'd like to have a B swap is because with a simple b16, i'd be making 160 hp instead of my 127, and it would still be good on the highway. Planning a trip to the keys next weekend, 6 hour + drive and only costing me $10 in gas... if that? hell yeah.

Yep, I've decided. Leaving it stock, fixing my exhaust so it is actually nice and quiet. Getting a decent sub, new 6.5's for the front, new wheels, and a lip. If i find some i like - eyelids/headlight covers (say what you want, i think they can look fracking sexy).

So now the first challenge - 6.5" speakers, and a sub... Probably the 10" powered infinity one, unless i can find a good deal at a flea market or craigslist. Possibly an amp for the components, need to get some actual sound out of my 800 watt 6x9's.

stock ride height is low enough to justify a lip, and the exhaust has a bit of a hole just before the muffler. It's loud and annoying because of it, and the muffler makes a wierd clicking noise when it vibrates/torques. All i would do is go and have my local muffler shop do is fab up another tailpipe/stick on a muffler on there to get it nice and quiet. I'd like to hear my music without the sound of a droning exhaust in the background.

i say swap and build

i got my swap for 1950 (finally paid it off, lol) and did the swap with a help from 2 friends.

all i have is I/H/E, cam gears, and a chipped P28 and i beat mustang GT's but out of a digg i dont grip until end of 1st lol :happy:

SWAP IT!!! B > D ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

i say swap and build

i got my swap for 1950 (finally paid it off, lol) and did the swap with a help from 2 friends.

all i have is I/H/E, cam gears, and a chipped P28 and i beat mustang GT's but out of a digg i dont grip until end of 1st lol :happy:

SWAP IT!!! B > D ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

agreed, you should get a b series build and swap it in and then worry about looks later.

my mind is made up. Keeping the D in. No need to go fast on a DD. Maybe in a year or two i'll get a CRX and build that with an ls/vtec setup, but i like having my nice comfortable car i can take on the highway and not hate myself for. D's make ridiculous gas mileage and have plenty of pep for passing. I REALLY don't need to go pouring all my school money into a B swap. As long as the car looks and sounds clean, I'm happy. I already drove a performance car. The 240 had plenty of power and reached 120 in no time, really. It was fast for a 250~hp car, but I really don't need it. Street races are just not worth it.

My exhaust is loud.

But when I put my music at a comfortable volume, I don't hear it.

after seeing pics of your sound system, i question your idea of a comfortable volume.

and shane, i've kind of gone the same route with my car. I had all of these ambitions to build my D, but it just costs too much freaking money. so i spent a little more money on sound insulation, a new headliner, a sound system, and some detailing stuff. i know have a car that gets 30+mpg, sounds nice on the inside with the radio on or off, and looks descent on the outside.

My exhaust is loud.

WHAT!!? since when? lol

i would classify your exhaust as moderately loud... now my exhaust on the other hand... lets just say when i leave the house, the kids across the street hold their hands to their ears.. buddyclub prospec headerback on a GSR FTMFW! lol :laugh:

If so, then Shane should get a custom pipe like mine LOL.

But, you never heard me get on it, because I had a trunk and a back seat full of crap that I didn't want flying all over the place during the meet.

Trust me, even when I keep the RPM low it sets off car alarms ALL THE TIME. And Shane is more concerned about the droning at highway speeds anyways.

LOL Thomas, I rarely crank it up. That gets just as annoying as a droning exhaust.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to hear my music clearly at 15 instead of 28 (34 is max on m headunit), and being able to actually hold a phone conversation while on the road would be nice.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to hear my music clearly at 15 instead of 28 (34 is max on m headunit), and being able to actually hold a phone conversation while on the road would be nice.

tisk tisk, not supposed to be on the phone while ur driving anyways

yeah droning exhaust on the highway ftl

• 8 months later...

ur best bet, b18block ($150), b16 head ($300), b20 throttlebody($75), pick up a turbo for bout $800 or less (used), then build it from scratch. you'll get 500hp if done correctly (use top of the line crap for guts, pistons, sleeves, rods, etc.)

Sooo.. it's official. I miss the power of the 240. I wish i could teach the local ricers lessons in being quick. Too many ricers around here that i used to burn down, now i can barely keep up with them, sadly.

What i'm dealing with - Stock d16y8... completely bone stock.

Should i build it? Ionno, only thing is I don't want to put on an exhaust. I like my car quiet and don't feel like listening to the drone of an engine running at 3.5k rpms every time i feel like hopping on the highway.

I'm looking at intake, header, and TB. Possibly go into the engine and work on higher compression pistons, new cam, and a d15 head. Too bad i'd still only make MAYBE 140 to the wheels, but that's being generous.

Other option is a B series swap. Don't know what swap that i'd be going for. Need to find the cheapest/best bang for the buck deal. I guess b16a2 is the popular option?

I'm really interested in an LS/Vtec setup, because most of all- i'm looking to keep the car N/A.

Last option is do nothing. Leave it stock and slow. Throw some nice wheels on it (any sites that sell some at good prices?) and probably call it a day.

What do you guys think?

Archived