So no luck on some Subie forums...

So, my 1st gear is now making a clunking noise. Only during accel, not so much decel. I'm thinking of upgrading to a straight cut 1st and 2nd, but keeping the helical cut 3rd through 5th. Does anyone know of a good site where I could purchase said gearset? Thanks in advance!

Oh man! Much better!

Rick, I thank you, kind sir.

No problem man. If you have any questions about working on your subie, let me know. I have alot of info that I can share with you.

rick is your main guy for subaru topics

fixed. diablo2dusk bought his already built wrx. he is still a noob when it comes to learning things about them. no offense man.

ive been building my car up from stock, and i even have a spare motor that im building.

the only other person on here who may be able to help you out more than me is joe (xxscaxx) but he hasnt signed on in awhile. he has a gorgeous 04/05 body style sti that he built.

UPDATE: So the two shops I went to today don't have any idea of what it is. However, one of the shops I went to was an independent Subaru shop. I talked to them about the RA gearset, and they told me not to do it yet. Reason being, I've only got 41,XXX on the clock, and I've still got the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, which I thought was void because of the mods.

But from what Dan (the owner of the Subaru shop) told me, SOA should still honor my powertrain warranty, regardless of my mods. Except my catless exaust, which he's going to work with. Simply put, if SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning) offers a comparable upgrade (EX: SPT short shift kit vs. my currently installed Cobb Tuning short shift kit) they can't deny me warrany work, regardless of if it's through SPT or another aftermarket company.

So, pretty much, if I get the ok from Dan, and Shortline Subaru (a local Subie dealer), I'll get my transmission rebuilt under warranty.

Wish me luck!

with the mods you have and the power youre making, youre going to need a stronger transmission.

im only stage 2 with about 240whp and my factory gears shattered. its a ticking time bomb.

i gave you a link where you could find the RA gear set.

RA gears are good up to 350whp

any subaru enthusiast would tell you the same thing on any subaru forum (nasioc, lisc, ect)

if youre not on Nasioc.com yet, you should join.

but its your money, you can take my advice or leave it.

Oh, I'm definitely going to do the RA set, if this rebuild isn't covered. Hell, why not try to get it done for free? But, I do appreciate the link, in fact it's saved to my favorites. :D

Oh, I'm definitely going to do the RA set, if this rebuild isn't covered. Hell, why not try to get it done for free? But, I do appreciate the link, in fact it's saved to my favorites. :D

a rebuild will still end up breaking because they are just replacing the factory gears. they might last 6 months or so if you drive like a granny, but come on. who wants to do that? just seems like you would be postponing the inevitable.

Oh, I am postponing the inevitable. Biggest problem is unexpected bills. I'm hoping that 6 months will give me a little time to save up some extra cash...

But, again, thanks for the link!

Archived