Installing Subs?

I have a completely stock 2000 Honda Civic EX. I have some subwoofers in my house left by my brother, with an amp, box, and everything. I was wondering if it would be possible to install them and hook them up to my stock stereo. I have pictures:

Stock Stereo: (White thing is my iPod holder)

1000183.th.jpg

Front of Box:

1000178.th.jpg

Back of Box:

1000182y.th.jpg

One Side of Amp:

1000181g.th.jpg

Other Side of Amp:

1000180a.th.jpg

Top of Amp:

1000179b.th.jpg

If its possible, I can try and do it myself. I just would need to know what cables, etc. I need, or if I should just get it professionally installed. Thanks!

yeah you can do it yourself. you'll probably need to pick one of these up:

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Soundgate-SOUN...utput-Converter

because i dont think the stock deck has the RC outputs.

you'll also need a wiring kit, which you can get a basic one from wal-mart for about 30 bucks

Okay, so just a $30 wiring kit from wal-mart or something, and a

SOUNDGATE LOCPRO Adjustable Entry-Level Line Output Converter...

If I were to take the head unit out and take a picture of the back for this thread, would you be able to tell me then exactly what I'd need? Don't wanna order things online and find out they're wrong/I don't need them.

i prefer the PAC sni-35 they work great as a line output converter if the back of the factory radio scares you, you could always tap into the speaker wires at the back deck and tap the cigarette lighter for the remote wire. there should be a few holes in the firewall to run the power wire through, DO NOT RUN IT THROUGH THE DOOR JAMB. also make sure you get at least an 8guage amp kit seeing as that amp has 40 amps of current draw.

thats my 2 pennies

p.s. the dash on those cars can be a pain to get out seeing that you have to remove the panels underneath the steering wheel and the radio to expose the four screws holding the dash in

quick and really simplified.... ive done quite a few stereos

u need a power line coming from the battery back to the amp

you need the same size power line or bigger ground going from the amp to the frame on the car

you need a line 12v (can be small) RMS to the amp ....tells it to turn on... most of the time it comes from the head unit, but can also be on the cig lighter if it is only on when the car is on, head unit works best cause u can have the amp off if the radio is off

u need a set of RCA's coming from the head unit back to the amp to supply the audio signal

u need good quality speaker wire to go from the + - terminals on the amp to the + - on the subs ( since that is a 2 channel amp and the subs are separate you will need a line going to each)

and that is about it, as far as safety goes bigger the wire the better for power and ground, optimal speaker wire for subs is about as thick as a coffee stirring straw(wire not rubber around it) and make sure there is a fuse somewhere in the power line

this setup will give u the best quality and really only takes maybe a couple hours to do it if you have never done it before

Alright. I also found an Alpine CDM-7871 Head unit I'm going to try and install, which should make it easier since it has built in sub outputs. As of now it looks like I'll be trying to do it myself, because every store or professional wants quite a bit that I can't really afford right now. Thanks for the help, my one fear of doing it myself is being able to cleanly run the wires from the amp all the way up to the dashboard, gonna have to find a good way to do that.

Alright. I also found an Alpine CDM-7871 Head unit I'm going to try and install, which should make it easier since it has built in sub outputs. As of now it looks like I'll be trying to do it myself, because every store or professional wants quite a bit that I can't really afford right now. Thanks for the help, my one fear of doing it myself is being able to cleanly run the wires from the amp all the way up to the dashboard, gonna have to find a good way to do that.

with all my cars ive done, either down the middle under the carpet(only works on some cars) and under the kick panels for the doors

Down the middle under the carpet, then through the center console if possible does appear to be the best solution. The kick panels, if I'm correct in assuming that is the hard plastic at the bottom of all the doors, seems to be on very tight and with no visible screws or anything to remove it.

Archived