Timing Belt WAY TOO TIGHT

1994 Honda Civic 1.5 b7 block, 1.5 stock head (put back to stock after the 1.6 head wouldn't run right).

The timing belt was ok until i took it off to replace the 1.6 head with the 1.5 head. Cam gears are the same amount of teeth, the height of the head is the same, but i had to use a engine hoist to get the belt back on. Its on, but its way too tight.

I've tried tightening and loosening the tensioner and havn't had any slack. Like i said it was fine before it came off, only thing the 1.6 head i couldn't get tuned right, valves, timing, etc.

I'm currently off 2 teeth, and will have to redo the process once again to time it right, but even when i get it timed right, i'm scared to run the engine with the belt this tight.

Whats the deal? My tensioner out of wack?

did you do something weird with the tensioner to get the belt to fit over the 1.5 block and 1.6 head? for example you put a d16 belt on and since the block is a little shorter you tightened the tensioner way up to take up the slack and now you can't adjust it properly?

Well, now that I think of it, I put the newer belt on of the two. The belt was on the used engine i bought, which was a 1.5 block with the 1.6 head installed. Tension was great.

Are a 1.5 and a 1.6 belt different? Should i put a 1.5 belt on my 1.5 block and 1.5 head? I guess i didn't think of the belt being different. Thats dumb. Along with the distributor mounts being different. Same internal parts, different mounts. Damn hondas, never again. :)

Archived