car smoking

Triggaman03

ok guys im leaving for SC next weekend so im gonna be able to fix this problem when i get back so now i would like to know what would cure this or how to find out what it is.... i reved up my car in the driveway to see if it still smokes because people have told me when im in high rpms or i get on it that my car smokes.... my guess its burning oil...but when i reved up today it was fine til i got really high in the rpms and when i pushed the gas down it start putting out white/blue smoke.... i know u guys said it could be a seal or something else but could u guys reinstate what it could be and the part i would need to ask autozone for if they have it....my guess its burning oil...or i hope its not a head gasket but it only does it during high rpms which i dont do too much..its done it since i got it a month ago...the guy told me it burns some oil...but idk how to check all this stuff...thanks in advance for the help

ooooh..... if only it was only the head gasket... your correct that its burning oil.. blue smoke usually = burnt piston rings... mine was doin the same thing in high rpms... and a few weeks later busted a valve from carbon deposit buildup from the burnin oil... i got started workin on mine 2 weeks ago, and am still puttin it back together.. just cuz lack of funds for new timing belt, new gaskets, new spark plugs, new head gasket... still need a radiator which comes next week, and that should get it runnin again

Sounds like worn piston rings. If it doesnt burn oil too badly i'd probably try to get away with just keeping an eye on the oil level until i could afford a rebuild.(or in my case until i sold my car to buy something nicer)

well instead of fixing the problem should i just look in junk yards for a vtec engine or the integra engine u guys told me to get the ls or something i dont remember...or should i just replace the rings and gaskets...eventually i would like to get a new engine but money is tight til i find a better job...but i dont want the car to blow or anything...

If its not burning oil badly then you should be ok. Hell, i rode my civic for 4 months and i was going through a gallon of oil every two days. So, if its only burning a lil bit in high rpms, and you take it easy of the car, you should be fine until you can replace the motor. (I personally wouldnt rebuild something i was planning on pulling anyway)

Head Gasket $34.99, Intake Man. Gasket $12.99, Exhaust Man. Gasket $16.99, Timing Belt $31.99, Silicone Gasket Sealer $4.99, Piston Rings $49.99, GRAND TOTAL= $151.94 thats basically the minimum you'll need to rebuild + new oil forgot that... or for about $300 get a full bottom end rebuild kit with new pistons, rings, timing belt, water pump, rod bearings, main bearings, thrust washers, and full set of gaskets and seals from the oil pan up the the 3 layer metal head gasket..... or save up and just get another engine... the choice is yours

Edited by Ketnity151

well instead of fixing the problem should i just look in junk yards for a vtec engine or the integra engine u guys told me to get the ls or something i dont remember...or should i just replace the rings and gaskets...eventually i would like to get a new engine but money is tight til i find a better job...but i dont want the car to blow or anything...

my b16 blew on my way down to louisiana, i had the same problem you're having with burning oil..i ripped the old block apart and found that i had fried piston rings 1 and 2. i called this company "unitex trading" they recycle used engines out of japan..rather than going to a junk yard trying to find a motor that would work. you can get a motor from a japanese motor exchane that is steam cleaned, shipped to you, with under 50k miles on it. im now driving my sol with a d15b and it runs like its brand new. and it only cost me 450 with shipping. i dont have the number on hand, but you can google it. i try to stay away from getting engines from junkyards cuz you never know what kind of condition they're in. UNItex gives you a one year warranty.

i know.. This group of dudes, car club called "The Rage" that run here around Longview, One dude works at O'Reillys Auto Parts has a built D16Z6 with a nitrous setup in his CRX that runs low 13s

now without nitrous, they aint sh*t.. id be faster than them, theyve got the low compression piston set up, gettin ready for turbo, so its pretty slow without the nitrous

Edited by Ketnity151

Well, the main reason B-series are considered better than D-series engines is because B's were Honda's next step up. D's are not without their merits, but the B's have a lot of advantages too. It's basically a question of what you want out of your engine. Personally, I want an R-series out of the new civic if I can swing it. And purely on the subject of the cams themselves, DOHC is generally better than SOHC.

*edit*

Ooh.. I may consider swapping in the seats too... need an Si parts Civic...

Edited by Orca89

indeeeed. not only is the B series motor for the del sol hard to come by in good condition, but i have the displacement on this d15b vtec bored out way more than any B series motor, JE Pistons and rods, aluminum girdle, garret turbo yada yada yada.. i can safely push 20lbs of boost and i out run 3 of the fastest DOHC's in my area. Ive been driving hondas since i was able and before that i would read magazines like everyday.. and all these drivers talk about their beefed up DOHC's But in a test of physics, torque and horsepower is all about rotating weight. The less you have to turn, the more power goes to the wheels. SOHC or DOHC it doesnt matter, the only thing that matters is the knowledge and skill of the person building it. the fastest SOHC car in my area ran a 10.55 and thats somethin to think about. haha

SOHC or DOHC it doesnt matter, the only thing that matters is the knowledge and skill of the person building it.

very very true... and i figure if your gonna go all out WITH your knowledge and skill, ya might as well start off with a 'better' platform though