whats so dif from the b20a5 and the b18c1?

ive been hearing and reading that the b20a is prty much a junk motor from a bunch of different forums, but is it not true its basicly allmost the same as the b18c1 just slighty bored out and a slightly different ratio with the pwr/trq???

so my real question is should i swap for a lsb18c or should i vtec my b20 and boost the snot out of it? i have a 89 si lude(dohc f/i).

ive been hearing and reading that the b20a is prty much a junk motor from a bunch of different forums, but is it not true its basicly allmost the same as the b18c1 just slighty bored out and a slightly different ratio with the pwr/trq???

so my real question is should i swap for a lsb18c or should i vtec my b20 and boost the snot out of it? i have a 89 si lude(dohc f/i).

You cannot VTEC the B20 because it's not a true B series motor...we've been through this. It's a predecessor of the current B series engines. As for the differences I'll list them.

"Partially unrelated to the Honda B-series engines are the B20A and B21A. By some, these are not considered (by tuners) to be part of the B-series group of engines because they are not compatible with most of the other B-series parts and all of the other B series chassis."

B20A5 - 135 hp @ 6200 rpm, 127 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm

B18C1 - 170 hp @ 7100 rpm , 128 ft·lb @ 6200 rpm

You cannot VTEC the B20 because it's not a true B series motor...we've been through this. It's a predecessor of the current B series engines. As for the differences I'll list them.

"Partially unrelated to the Honda B-series engines are the B20A and B21A. By some, these are not considered (by tuners) to be part of the B-series group of engines because they are not compatible with most of the other B-series parts and all of the other B series chassis."

sorry about the whole repeat there kastigir but i couldnt find it on the wiki. but ya that prty much answered my whole question there.

also will the b18 be a direct bolt on or am i going to have to use custom mounts and can i bolt it onto my current 5spd or will i have to buy new fly, clutch, etc.

sorry for so many questions here im just now realy starting to get into tuners so any info about them is much appreciated.

also will the b18 be a direct bolt on or am i going to have to use custom mounts and can i bolt it onto my current 5spd or will i have to buy new fly, clutch, etc.

sorry for so many questions here im just now realy starting to get into tuners so any info about them is much appreciated.

Not even remotely bolt in if the wiki article is to be believed.

not saying your wrong but why do i always here about b20 vtecs then?

If I'm not mistaken it's not the b20a that's capable of the swap..I think it's like b20d or b, though I've honestly no clue. It's not a wise pick for a high revving motor or building anyway. Has by and far the THINNEST cylinder walls of any of the b-series clan as far as I know.

i have herd of a vtec b20 but most ppl dont want to undertake the project kuz its vry costy kuz there arnt a hole lot of parts out there for it kuz i had priced out a whole turbo kit with install for mine and its going to run me aboyut 4.5-5k just for that. and a vtec will run me about 2k so maybe thats y i dont no but if the b18c will give me more bang for a buck then by all means ima see if i cant find a lsvtec with ecu and trans.

if you no of a site that i can look at bsides craigslist and the jdm site that has a b18c motor with a vtec that has under 80k with a trans and ecu.(if i can find all that for about $1-1.5k that would be awsome

Because the B20A isn't a true B series, you're thinking about the CRV B20 motors.

so prty much having said the whole b20 series are junk what motor should i swap it out with

i want a bad ass motor that i can either run all motor with mass hp/trq and or go boost with out any problems sept for the money

kuz the b18c is looking prty promising

other motors i have in mind as well:h22a vtec,f22,b18a, (and just for craps and giggles a 572 with a blower and supercharge and NOS ready lmao)...

The B20 is an excellent motor as a base, it just needs some work.

Sleeve it and you can beat on it forever. B20VTEC on roids was my original plan for my sol, but money became an issue so I had to drop the idea.

But go for it man, have any questions just shoot me a PM, I still have my build list.

And a supercharger and a blower are the same thing.

but ya if i can get away with a b20vtec and boost the hell out of it that would save me some money and time trying to find a complete motor with ecu and trans with mounts and all that, damn near better to just buy gsr with all that alrdy in it

but im just not rly a big fan of the integras rly. AND im partially in love with the 3rd gen bdy style of the ludes and i love how it handles and drives. idk thats just me though

i dont see why everyone is always sayin "im not a big fan of tegs".. i mean, if you dont like em dont drive em.. pretty simple really.. theyre good cars, got good motors that provide majority of swaps out there, thats gotta speak of somethin about em, right? you said the B18C is looking promising... guess what? that comes from a teg. wanna actually go with that? youll have to have the teg tranny, the teg halfshaft and axles, the teg motor mounts, and the teg shift linkage... youll pretty much have a teg with a different body. which in my opinion aint a bad thing really. didnt mean to go off, but i tire of hearing people say tegs are overdone and then they wanna swap in a teg motor.. if its overdone, look at it this way.. there really isnt a WHOLE hell of a lot you can do with hondas anymore than hasnt already been done.

i dont see why everyone is always sayin "im not a big fan of tegs".. i mean, if you dont like em dont drive em.. pretty simple really.. theyre good cars, got good motors that provide majority of swaps out there, thats gotta speak of somethin about em, right? you said the B18C is looking promising... guess what? that comes from a teg. wanna actually go with that? youll have to have the teg tranny, the teg halfshaft and axles, the teg motor mounts, and the teg shift linkage... youll pretty much have a teg with a different body. which in my opinion aint a bad thing really. didnt mean to go off, but i tire of hearing people say tegs are overdone and then they wanna swap in a teg motor.. if its overdone, look at it this way.. there really isnt a WHOLE hell of a lot you can do with hondas anymore than hasnt already been done.

i didnt mean tegs are a bad car or anything like that man, i just dont like the whole body concept they did on em as to why i dont really like them but as far as the motor and the tranny swap to a b18c is a good idea BKUZ there are alot of parts for that motor

but if i can find the parts i want to boost my b20a with ill stick with it and see how it goes, if i dont like what i find ill swap it with the b18c or a 572 LMAO

wow, i just read what i wrote.. didnt mean that to sound like such an a$... sorry bout that... 572 lol, that would be somethin!

is all gravy train man, i no wa you mean though alot of ppl do dis the tegs and there performance and all that.. I think the 572 would BE a GREAT!!! investment for the strip. HAHAHA

just imagine you have this big ass motor stickin half way out of the front clip and some ricers pull up wanting to race, and your sittin here jumpin up and down just from the nasty ass cam yuou have and with all the hp/trq you have, i dont think ANYBODY would want to try and and do a heads up in a ricer if they see that crap ROFL

hell, my little del sol hung with a z28 camaro................... for about 2 seconds lol

haha nice

we can hang for a smidge but 1ce they hit there power band its over unless we spray or something basically pull a big fat 1 out our ass's and smoke it hahaha

allthough i did see on pinks all out this little crx out ran a crap load of muscle with some nasty crap(crx ran 9's). allmost won the compi...

Archived