A/C Problem '92 Honda Prelude

rxmorph

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 1992 Honda Prelude (Si I believe - haven't went and looked at it yet...plan to tomorrow..but have discussed over phone). Anyway, it sounds like it's been well taken care of and is in good condition mechanically and body/exterior wise. One of the problems from what I understand, however, is that the A/C will work for a while when you turn the car on but will get too cold and then stop blowing cold air. The thermostat and compressor have both been replaced by a mechanic and I hear that he's been searching for a solution but has yet to find one except for bypassing the thermostat so it will continually blow cold air...? He said the only problem with doing that is though that it might freeze up and you would have let it thaw out. Then again it might be fine since it's during the summer and if you use outside air. I dunno...it still sounds like a thermostat problem to me but if they replaced it and it still isn't working then I'm not sure. Any ideas? Does his suggestion about bypassing the thermostat or whatever sound ok or does this sound like an expensive problem I would be stuck fixing if I bought the vehicle? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 1992 Honda Prelude (Si I believe - haven't went and looked at it yet...plan to tomorrow..but have discussed over phone). Anyway, it sounds like it's been well taken care of and is in good condition mechanically and body/exterior wise. One of the problems from what I understand, however, is that the A/C will work for a while when you turn the car on but will get too cold and then stop blowing cold air. The thermostat and compressor have both been replaced by a mechanic and I hear that he's been searching for a solution but has yet to find one except for bypassing the thermostat so it will continually blow cold air...? He said the only problem with doing that is though that it might freeze up and you would have let it thaw out. Then again it might be fine since it's during the summer and if you use outside air. I dunno...it still sounds like a thermostat problem to me but if they replaced it and it still isn't working then I'm not sure. Any ideas? Does his suggestion about bypassing the thermostat or whatever sound ok or does this sound like an expensive problem I would be stuck fixing if I bought the vehicle? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have they checked the refrigerant levels?

Archived