1993 Del Sol

ATF

Ok so here's the thing, I'm looking at a 1993 Del Sol from craigslist. Can anyone give me some advice on what kind of questions to ask the seller??

Here's the link would like to hear your guys opinions.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1245295326.html

Edited by ATF

the best thing you can do is go and drive the car. he mentioned rust spots and hail, so that can be a big problem right there. go look at the car and find out how bad the rust is. if its just starting to bubble, then you can deal with that fairly easily, but if its got holes in the rear quarter panels, it can be some serious money to get it fixed. same deal with the hail marks.

he also said he swapped in a 1.6L engine. you should figure out whether it was the D16 or B16. and he said a brand new one? where did he get a brand new engine from? was it rebuilt? and if so, with what parts.

the best thing you can do is go and drive the car. he mentioned rust spots and hail, so that can be a big problem right there. go look at the car and find out how bad the rust is. if its just starting to bubble, then you can deal with that fairly easily, but if its got holes in the rear quarter panels, it can be some serious money to get it fixed. same deal with the hail marks.

he also said he swapped in a 1.6L engine. you should figure out whether it was the D16 or B16. and he said a brand new one? where did he get a brand new engine from? was it rebuilt? and if so, with what parts.

what's the difference between the D16 & B16 engines? If there are holes from rust/hail damage how much would it cost to fix?

what's the difference between the D16 & B16 engines? If there are holes from rust/hail damage how much would it cost to fix?

More torque and power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rust hmm.. Just depends how bad. Hail damage is hail damage lol. But rust is deff fixable best is to replace it with new metal. But it all depends on who does it and how bad it is.

D series is a single cam engine, B is DOHC (dual overhead cam). and yes the B series has more hp/torque.

like he said hail damage is hail damage. its probably got a bunch of dents in the roof/hood/trunk that will take lots of bondo and sanding to replace, or just by new parts. its not hard to fix, just takes lots and lots of time, which is why it can get expensive.

again kind of repeating what tallhamer (preston) said above, it all depends on how bad it is. the rust. if its just starting, its not that big of a problem. if theres a decent size hole, then you have two options. cut out the entire area, and replace it with new sheet metal, or you can replace the whole rear 1/4 panel, which isnt cheap. with either of these repairs, you will be repainting a decent amount of the car, so to get everthing done and repainted, expect to pay a couple grand atleast for a good job

• 3 weeks later...
D series is a single cam engine, B is DOHC (dual overhead cam). and yes the B series has more hp/torque.

like he said hail damage is hail damage. its probably got a bunch of dents in the roof/hood/trunk that will take lots of bondo and sanding to replace, or just by new parts. its not hard to fix, just takes lots and lots of time, which is why it can get expensive.

again kind of repeating what tallhamer (preston) said above, it all depends on how bad it is. the rust. if its just starting, its not that big of a problem. if theres a decent size hole, then you have two options. cut out the entire area, and replace it with new sheet metal, or you can replace the whole rear 1/4 panel, which isnt cheap. with either of these repairs, you will be repainting a decent amount of the car, so to get everthing done and repainted, expect to pay a couple grand atleast for a good job

I'm looking at another 93' Del Sol on ebaymotors with similar problems. This car search is becoming extremely frustrating! I am now a lifetime carfax member so that's helping but still dont know what to go for. check this out & tell me if it can be repaired.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-HONDA-...%3A1%7C72%3A317

(Notice the rust on the back ))

Edited by ATF

I'm looking at another 93' Del Sol on ebaymotors with similar problems. This car search is becoming extremely frustrating! I am now a limetime carfax member so that's helping but still dont know what to go for. check this out & tell me if it can be repaired.

Umm... the rust would be fixable.. but not cheap. On the plus side, 95k miles, interior looks good, rims and tires look great... However, it's an autotragic. If you can win the bid without getting over 1300-1400... It would probably be worth it. I'd suggest checking on craigslist in the states surrounding you though, that's what ended up doing it for me. After 2 months of searching I found mine 300 miles away.

I'd suggest checking this one out: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1246131034.html

I'm looking at another 93' Del Sol on ebaymotors with similar problems. This car search is becoming extremely frustrating! I am now a limetime carfax member so that's helping but still dont know what to go for. check this out & tell me if it can be repaired.

ehhh, yeah its fixable, but its probably going to cost more to fix that than what you payed for the car. also i would look for a 5 speed.

Yeah, you definitely want to learn how. The autotragic actually gets I think something like 6-10 fewer mpg on the Sol. Newer tranny's are getting closer, but I'm pretty sure the CVT is the only transmission to actually better a stick. Better mileage, more fun, far safer in the winter... Or under any slick conditions really... Auto trannys are, as the eminent sage Jeremy Clarkson puts it, utterly useless. They make driving brainless. Great for those who are brainless to begin with, or people missing a leg... but apart from that. If you really want to go with an automatic, by all means go ahead. It's your car, get what you want. But if you want to be able to enjoy the Sol in all it's glory, you'll want a manual.