2006 Accord V6 6 speed third gear issue

Mike's_2006_Accord6spd

Occasionally, when I shift into third gear, the shifter just does not want to travel the final inch to fully engage 3rd gear. On one of the long term tests of a Civic 6 speed, I remember the writer describing a similar issue. This has happened periodically since the car was new, and happens if I am shifting fast or slow. While most of the time it is not a problem, I will sometimes grind 3rd gear, or have to push the clutch back in to give me more time to engage third gear. It makes shifting quickly through the gears, a less confident maneuver when hitting third gear. Of course, I can never get this to happen at the dealer. Anyone else encounter this?

Occasionally, when I shift into third gear, the shifter just does not want to travel the final inch to fully engage 3rd gear. On one of the long term tests of a Civic 6 speed, I remember the writer describing a similar issue. This has happened periodically since the car was new, and happens if I am shifting fast or slow. While most of the time it is not a problem, I will sometimes grind 3rd gear, or have to push the clutch back in to give me more time to engage third gear. It makes shifting quickly through the gears, a less confident maneuver when hitting third gear. Of course, I can never get this to happen at the dealer. Anyone else encounter this?

As with all manuals that encounter a shifting problem that appears not to be related to the clutch etc. we usually blend a 50/50 mixture of BG SyncroShift II with Honda manual transmission fluid. The issue usually caused by the syncros not blending (coming up to spend) thus the gears are not completely in line and shifting becomes "stiff". Sometimes Subaru and Hundai dealers carry the BG Syncro at the parts department counter, otherwise you should find a BG rep. Put in one quart of the BG and fill the remainder with Honda manual fluid. If I was a betting man I would bet this solves your problem.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have this same issue in my 2008 - just posted about it. I've gotten used to it so have adjusted but now i seem to haev a random clunk that only happens when i lift the clutch shifting from 2nd to 3rd. But not all the time.

have you found a way to fix the issue?

Nice to know i'm not the only one. Mine is on a I4 5speed though

Archived