different kinds of smoke for different problems

ok ive been searching on the forum and havent been able to find anything about what color of smoke means what. i was just wondering because im looking at a b16a2 and the owner says it is giving off black smoke. heres what i know so far about th colors..

White-?

Blue-bad rings/headgasket

black-?

brown-oil making its way into the exhaust?

so if anyone else knows what kind of smoke means what then we could fill this in and maybe make a sticky :)

thanks guys and gals!

white is often coolant

blue is burning oil

black is generally from running rich (too much fuel)

A little bit of white is pretty normal for most honda's if the weather is cool at all.

white is often coolant

blue is burning oil

black is generally from running rich (too much fuel)

A little bit of white is pretty normal for most honda's if the weather is cool at all.

ah i see. so running rich really isnt THAT bad if i can get it fixed quick. how would i go about fixing the running rich? tune?

tune, bad sensors, or reset ecu. i see lots of people with i/h/e running rich, i'm assuming this is because the didn't reset the ecu and give it a chance to learn the airflow characteristics.

Archived