tap tap tap

j_feze

my car got driven through some flooded streets (not by me) and now there is a tapping noise coming from the motor. at first i thought a rod may have got bent but now im leaning twards a noisy lifter after having someone else listen to it. Anyone have any ideas what the noise could be and how to fix it

Tapping noise could be cams, pistons, a rock that somehow made it into the cylinder... Could be more help if you described it a bit better. Is it a light ping, a heavy knock, an irregular rattle, etc.

my car got driven through some flooded streets (not by me) and now there is a tapping noise coming from the motor. at first i thought a rod may have got bent but now im leaning twards a noisy lifter after having someone else listen to it. Anyone have any ideas what the noise could be and how to fix it

the noise has a slight knock to it but its more like a higher pitched ticking sound its pretty loud

Tapping noise could be cams, pistons, a rock that somehow made it into the cylinder... Could be more help if you described it a bit better. Is it a light ping, a heavy knock, an irregular rattle, etc.

i took the oil cap off and the ticking sound seemed to match the movement of the lifter from what i could see

i'd say a light ping but pretty noisy.

the noise has a slight knock to it but its more like a higher pitched ticking sound its pretty loud

Ok, first off, there's an edit button. 3 1-sentence posts is just a waste of your time and ours.

i took the oil cap off and the ticking sound seemed to match the movement of the lifter from what i could see

Sounds like it's probably the valves.

Archived