SOHC?

SLAW011

I have my 93 sol si d16z6 with Vtec. Im pretty sure it is SOHC Vtec. Not DOHC. Am i correct in assuming this?

Z6 is SOHC. It's pretty easy to tell:

Dual OverHead Cam:

i5t5xx.jpg

Single OverHead Cam:

n9352305_36683582_8137.jpg

For Honda 4-bangers, that pretty much covers it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 93 Si. Part of me regrets it.

On the one hand I mainly picked it up for a good reliable car to commute to work in. I wanted something with decent gas mileage.

On the other hand... it's super weak. I drive up a grade for parts of my commute. Not fun. The car really feels it.

I've been pondering how to get more power without breaking the bank. I just want to be able to cruise up those grades without feeling it too much.

My wife's Honda Pilot does fine. My Volvo S60 does fine. My old Jetta VR6 did fine. My old Plymouth Laser Turbo did fine. And of course, my old S2000 didn't even know a grade was there.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have picked up a newer Del Sol with the DOHC.

I just picked up a 93 Si. Part of me regrets it.

On the one hand I mainly picked it up for a good reliable car to commute to work in. I wanted something with decent gas mileage.

On the other hand... it's super weak. I drive up a grade for parts of my commute. Not fun. The car really feels it.

I've been pondering how to get more power without breaking the bank. I just want to be able to cruise up those grades without feeling it too much.

My wife's Honda Pilot does fine. My Volvo S60 does fine. My old Jetta VR6 did fine. My old Plymouth Laser Turbo did fine. And of course, my old S2000 didn't even know a grade was there.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have picked up a newer Del Sol with the DOHC.

... how much of a grade are we talking about? I've got a 93 Si too.. PO dropped a D16A in it, which has a touch more horsepower, but I haven't had any problems going up some of the steeper hills around York. And obviously all those other cars are going to have an easier time, they've got a huge power advantage over the Sol.

I'd check to make sure your engine is working properly... 'cause downshifting usually makes my Sol almost leap up all but the steepest hills.

... how much of a grade are we talking about? I've got a 93 Si too.. PO dropped a D16A in it, which has a touch more horsepower, but I haven't had any problems going up some of the steeper hills around York. And obviously all those other cars are going to have an easier time, they've got a huge power advantage over the Sol.

I'd check to make sure your engine is working properly... 'cause downshifting usually makes my Sol almost leap up all but the steepest hills.

It's a pretty steep grade. It's pretty much like driving into the mountains. It's an auto transmission, but I don't think that's the whole problem.

I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago for $1800. I was almost positive that there had to be something wrong with it after noticing how weak it was. But I'm just wondering if it's because I'm used to stronger cars. But I don't really think that's it.

The car rarely goes above 4500 rpm. Only if I floor it. Then it will maybe go to 5000 for a little bit before it downshifts back to 4500. If I manually put it in 3rd gear it still tends to have trouble going above 4500 rpm. Cruising on the freeway it's fine. 70+ mph if there isn't an incline.

I thought it was fuel pressure at first. Checked the oil, looked good. Brought it to a mechanic and said the fuel pump was new and the timing was slightly off, but now it's fine. Didn't improve too much.

I'm beginning to think there's something up with the ECU. But it's a bone stock car except for an intake filter. So I don't think someone would have put a new ECU in there.

I'm stumped.

Oh... and to the OP... sorry for hijacking the thread! But I think you already got your question answered, right? The 93 didn't come in DOHC.

Most of my family lives in west Virginia i have drove my si up and down all over that place if u drive it a low gear where u got more power you can drive those mountains like no 2marrow not to mention it becomes a blast of fun.

It's a pretty steep grade. It's pretty much like driving into the mountains. It's an auto transmission, but I don't think that's the whole problem.

I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago for $1800. I was almost positive that there had to be something wrong with it after noticing how weak it was. But I'm just wondering if it's because I'm used to stronger cars. But I don't really think that's it.

The car rarely goes above 4500 rpm. Only if I floor it. Then it will maybe go to 5000 for a little bit before it downshifts back to 4500. If I manually put it in 3rd gear it still tends to have trouble going above 4500 rpm. Cruising on the freeway it's fine. 70+ mph if there isn't an incline.

I thought it was fuel pressure at first. Checked the oil, looked good. Brought it to a mechanic and said the fuel pump was new and the timing was slightly off, but now it's fine. Didn't improve too much.

I'm beginning to think there's something up with the ECU. But it's a bone stock car except for an intake filter. So I don't think someone would have put a new ECU in there.

I'm stumped.

Oh... and to the OP... sorry for hijacking the thread! But I think you already got your question answered, right? The 93 didn't come in DOHC.

It's most of the problem.

It's most of the problem.

You're probably right.

I've pondered doing an engine swap in a year or so. Nothing big. Just maybe a B16A. But I'm not into the whole modding thing, so my knowledge is limited. I have a mechanic that I could get to do the work decently cheap. But it's not some import specialty shop, I figured that something that came in the later Del Sols would be nice and easy.

The weird thing to me is... I keep reading about engine swaps, but then I also see people talking about the tranny. Do most swaps include both? So, in essense, I could turn my automatic into a manual? And does that type of conversion become cost prohibitive, or is it not really much more trouble than exchanging a manual for manual?

You're probably right.

I've pondered doing an engine swap in a year or so. Nothing big. Just maybe a B16A. But I'm not into the whole modding thing, so my knowledge is limited. I have a mechanic that I could get to do the work decently cheap. But it's not some import specialty shop, I figured that something that came in the later Del Sols would be nice and easy.

The weird thing to me is... I keep reading about engine swaps, but then I also see people talking about the tranny. Do most swaps include both? So, in essense, I could turn my automatic into a manual? And does that type of conversion become cost prohibitive, or is it not really much more trouble than exchanging a manual for manual?

Each series of engine needs it's own tranny, B-series engines only work with B-series tranny's, D with D, etc. You could also try a manual tranny swap first to see if that helps. It'd probably be easier and cheaper to put in a manual tranny and a small turbo than to do a full engine swap. Nothing wrong with doing a B-series swap though, I sure want to. Granted... A B16 is better in every way than my current engine... including gas mileage, go figure :crazy:

Archived