My sols first outing in 6 months...what to do?

SolMusic

Hey guys n gals, FINALLY after 6 months of not driving my Delalala Sol I'll be able to take it for a spin this week hopefully. BUT, because it hasn't exactly moved in 6 months, I was wondering if you guys could give me a few pointers as to stuff I should do/check before I go out on the road. Firstly the battery needs recharging as it's run flat (even though I did ask my bro/mum to start it up every couple of weeks). And I'll check the oil, but after that I'm just curious as to stuff I should maybe check out to make sure it's safe? It did have an MOT (the yearly car check we have to have over here), I think in about February, so I'm guessing most bits will be safe (such as brakes), but I'd rather be safe than sorry before I go out on the road.

I know a few of you keep your cars in storage and don't drive them for a while, so, any tips?

Thanks! :D

The first few miles the brakes will be crape. rust will have accumulated on the rotors and your braking power will be way down until the rotors are scuffed clean again.

You might have flat spots in the tires. As long as the rubber is not hardened from being old the flat spots will work themselves out the first couple miles. Until then be prepared for a pretty annoying 'thwump, thwump, thwump' sound and vibration.

hopefully you didnt leave the e-brake on when you parked it last because that could cause some problems. also check the air pressure in your tires. let the car run for 5-10 before you start driving it. also when you store the car you should put fuel stabilizer in it with less than 1/4 tank of gas.

hopefully you didnt leave the e-brake on when you parked it last because that could cause some problems. also check the air pressure in your tires. let the car run for 5-10 before you start driving it. also when you store the car you should put fuel stabilizer in it with less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Only when storing it for more than 90 days. Anything less than that and the gas won't go bad. Not that letting it go bad is all that awful, besides plugging up your EGR valve.

Thanks V much for the tips guys

Not sure if I did leave the 'e-brake' on (retarded name, its a Hand brake!), pretty sure I did though... What problems could that cause? I'm guessing stretching of the cable maybe?

I thought I would leave it running for about 10 minutes before I took it out, just to let it all warm up nicely, and I'll certainly be taking it easy on the first outing.

Never new about the fuel stabilizer, I'll certainly keep that in mind for when I leave the car again in September.

I'll check the pressures too for sure too, never sure though at how much they should be at though, (I've been told various things by people, all fairly contradicting).

They're 17's, can't remember the tire size right now, I'll take a look in the morning, also I'll check out the rotors to see what shape they're in.

Found out some awesome news today though, my mum (legend that she is), had the car taken up to the local garage a few days ago to have it checked out to make sure it's all in working order, and it just arrived back yesterday morning I think! She also has had it insured, so I'm gonna go for a nice lil drive tomorrow I think! I love my mum! Fking LEGEND. So hopefully now the car will be all fine, but it's always good to know what you guys have said!

Edited by SebSol

Only when storing it for more than 90 days. Anything less than that and the gas won't go bad. Not that letting it go bad is all that awful, besides plugging up your EGR valve.

... how could bad gas plug up your EGR? Charcoal Canister during the summer, sure. But EGR? It's only open when you're cruising with your engine at operating temperature.

I'll check the pressures too for sure too, never sure though at how much they should be at though, (I've been told various things by people, all fairly contradicting).

They're 17's, can't remember the tire size right now, I'll take a look in the morning, also I'll check out the rotors to see what shape they're in.

Unless you feel like spending several days testing and figuring things out mathematically... You're just going to have to guess and how it feels. That's the biggest problem with aftermarket rims. I have mine at 36 or so... I think. I probably need to let a bit out though... Understeer has reared it's head a few times on me. Can't wait to get my factory rims...

Edited by Orca89

... how could bad gas plug up your EGR? Charcoal Canister during the summer, sure. But EGR? It's only open when you're cruising with your engine at operating temperature.

Ever heard of varnish?

Thanks V much for the tips guys

Not sure if I did leave the 'e-brake' on (retarded name, its a Hand brake!), pretty sure I did though... What problems could that cause? I'm guessing stretching of the cable maybe?

I thought I would leave it running for about 10 minutes before I took it out, just to let it all warm up nicely, and I'll certainly be taking it easy on the first outing.

Never new about the fuel stabilizer, I'll certainly keep that in mind for when I leave the car again in September.

as far as the tires go, they say on it what the max psi is. mine says 44, i usually run around 36-38. like said before, it is by feel. the higher the psi, the better the handling will be but you lose ride comfort. too soft, and well it will be like a boat.

as far as the tires go, they say on it what the max psi is. mine says 44, i usually run around 36-38. like said before, it is by feel. the higher the psi, the better the handling will be but you lose ride comfort. too soft, and well it will be like a boat.

to a point... Once you get your tire pressure too high, you start to lose grip. Although with low profile tires... who knows, that point could be beyond the max pressure for the tire. You just can't really know with aftermarket rims.

to a point... Once you get your tire pressure too high, you start to lose grip. Although with low profile tires... who knows, that point could be beyond the max pressure for the tire. You just can't really know with aftermarket rims.

that is true, but if youve ever been to an autocross event, a lot of guys inflate their tires over the max rating written on them. so he really doesnt have to worry about losing grip from over-inflation.

that is true, but if youve ever been to an autocross event, a lot of guys inflate their tires over the max rating written on them. so he really doesnt have to worry about losing grip from over-inflation.

Guess my problem is the tires themselves, not the pressure. Hmm... your bug is back... Meh, I'll leave it alone on this half of my laptop.

you should always fill the tank when leaving a car. if you dont, it's possible you could accumulate rust in the empty part of the tank.

tire pressure is about the car weight. no matter the size or width of the tires or wheels.

OEM civic tire specs are 32psi

max psi for the tire strenght is on the tire itself.

overinflation doesnt make one lose grip, it just makes for uneven tire wear

you should always fill the tank when leaving a car. if you dont, it's possible you could accumulate rust in the empty part of the tank.

not really. if you leave a car for a while, you'll have a full tank of crappy gas

had a 1/2 tank sit in my current sol since atleast early 2006, fired it up no problems ;) (but then again as soon as i got it home i drained the tank, flushed it with good fuel, ran the fuel through the lines, changed fuel filter, and did an oil change as well as check valve clearances, etc)