just got an 02 honda S2k

bboyle

i just got an 02 honda s2000

im new at this and this is my very first car.

i was thinking about getting a cool air intake but have no idea what brands are good and how to install it. i heard that the S2k is great on its own w/o mods and instead of increase in power it looses power. so is there any point for me to do anything to my car?

if so, i would like some help and advice on type of brand and how to install the cool air intake

and maybe some recommendations on future modification.

How about a few pictures of that new ride?

The s2k is a nice car without modification. To bring much more horsepower out of it will not be cheap though. A simple air intake really won't do much at all except make it louder.

yeah the s2k is pretty well tuned from the factory. if you want some more power gains youre looking at forced induction (ie turbo or supercharger). i say drive it around and enjoy it before you start dropping in more money to make it faster

an s2k is your first car? i wish my parents would by me an s2k :(

personally i wouldn't mess with the motor right away. i get a hardtop, wheels, and suspension, and exterior goodies. i bet that wheels/tires, legit suspension, intake, and exhaust will cost you around $3k

how much did you buy the car for?

If I remember correctly, when the s2k first came out, password jdm carbon fiber intake was the only intake on the market proven to increase horsepower. I'm sure there may be a couple more now. Possibly injen or aem as described above. But I'm with the others in that you should pretty much leave it alone besides maybe wheels and of course the hard-top is pretty nice albeit expensive.

Oh yeah and PICS FOOL!

an s2k is your first car? i wish my parents would by me an s2k :(

personally i wouldn't mess with the motor right away. i get a hardtop, wheels, and suspension, and exterior goodies. i bet that wheels/tires, legit suspension, intake, and exhaust will cost you around $3k

how much did you buy the car for?

well it was for sale for $11k but my dad knew the dealler reduced it down to $9k

it has i think 13k miles on it not sure some where around there

my first recommendation is to just give the car to me.

please?

welcome to HF

hahahah funny lol

13k miles? wow that's low! Cool! :)

Honda made the suspension better for '02 on so that's great for you!

Intake/Header/Exhaust would be a great place to start also...but you will find out what's great and all if you search...s2k forums and such...

3k for said parts is DIRT cheap

damn, stuff for an s2k that pricey?

pending on what brand parts youre talking about then yeah, it gets pricey.. i mean hell i spent $1,500 on my tein flex's there is half of your said price and only one thing bought :thumbsup:

i say for that little list you made.. shoot for around 8 - 9k pending on what he buys, cheap made parts or high quality parts

• 2 months later...

intake and exhaust will give you 2-5 hp.....10 more hp if youre really lucky and the best parts (aka most expensive). the s2k is almost tuned to the max from the factory so it is very hard to get more hp using bolt-ons. for ex. my k&n cold intake system added 2.3HP!!! on the dyno, so save youre money, its not worth it. If performance is your goal, keep your stock springs and shocks, and save up for a proper supercharger set-up (headers, head gasket, maybe manifold, THEN intake and exhaust and even then not really necessary, most of the back pressure is in the cat, so back-cat exhaust systems (which almost all are since you would need a new cat) will not help much if at all....ect..ect...all the basics). it'll cost you 8-9k for everything if you go with a good bang for the buck setup like a comptech supercharger kit, but you'll easily see 360-390 hp and over 400 hp at higher psis (bye bye gasket...obviously not recommended.)

Archived