project car has me scratchin my head. Need help!

RyanCarter20

1997 Honda Civic DX body. 1999 1.5 SOHC non Vtec. 99 interior. engine harness is 99. dash harness is 99 rear harness is 97. Motor came from a guy known for building strong motors (not using cheap parts) I never popped the head off to look and see what he did I just started putting things back together best I could. So I had no idea what I was really working with. Today I got the car to start up for the first time. Sounded really rough to me, almost had a V8 loping affect. Listened to the exhaust and it sounded weird, unlike anything I've ever heard. The car seemed to be starving for fuel, I could cover the intake opening with my hand and choke the motor and the car would idle 10 times better. So I popped the lid on the motor and compared a stock b16 cam to the one in my 1.5...The cam on my 1.5 were atleast a quarter size bigger than the stock b16 cams. Which to me says aftermarket, right?? So, IF my problem is that I do have a cam and the motor isnt putting out enough gas to push it. I'll need a chipped computer that is set just for a 1.5 with a cam,right? does it matter the size of the cam when trying to purchase the computer or can I just search ebay for any honda civic computer chipped for a cam....This is where I'm stuck! I have thought about the fuel pump maybe not putting out like it should, it is the stock fuel pump. I plan to check on that in the next day or two...any help would be appreciated!

Ryan

P.S. I'm trying to contact the guy who built the motor to ask him these questions but he's a hard cat to catch....

Buying a new ecu will not necessarily solve your problems.

Finding the guy you bought the engine from and finding out what things he did to that engine is what you will need to do. Without him and his info anything you do is just a stab in the dark.

Buying a new ecu will not necessarily solve your problems.

Finding the guy you bought the engine from and finding out what things he did to that engine is what you will need to do. Without him and his info anything you do is just a stab in the dark.

Ok, I finally talked to the guy who owned this motor. He was the one who got it built. He said it doesnt have a cam and the car ran off of a stock OBD1 computer when he had it. !!!!!??????!!!!! would the fuel pressure regulator cause this problem if it was bad? Wiring is good...no problems there, we didnt cut into anything. Everything is 99 stuff with a jump down to a OBD1 computer...Any help would be appreciated.

Hey bro, you may have to get with a honda dealer and get advice from them! Dnt service though bc they will over charge you! I usually go for them if i cant figure out something! My bro is a an ase technician an helps me maintain my car, thk God! If u are not sure, i wldnt touch or take the transmission apart! Gudluck man!

Solved.....The problem was the fuel pressure regulator. I changed it out and it ran fine, it had a bit of a spit to it so I may have a vaccum open or something. I'll figure it out and let ya'll know how it goes. I'll hit ya back if something else pops up! Thanks

Archived