Which Motor? Ls or GSR

AsianLady

Alrite, so officially, I don't know which motor to be picking, because its a hard choice.

Which one is better?

Ls or GSR?

I rather have a LS because you can always build it up

and a GSR price is a bit too much.

Put your inputs for me =]

an ls will cost more in the long run if you end up building it.

a gsr will cost more in the beginning, but the power is there and you really dont have to build much.

i say gsr, but then again, im biased.

There is a LOT more involved in an LSVTEC setup than just putting a vtec head onto an ls block. Read into the proper method. Without doing it properly, the reliability will not be there. Ive heard of a whole lot of lsvtec setups that have failed.

If you are patient enough, you can find a deal on a gsr swap. I'm selling an entire swap with ecu, linkage, etc for $2k.

There is no typical civic. What year and trim? (ex, dx, ect)

Hahaha, I guess so. Civic LS, 95

GSR

My opinion. take it or leave it.

But there problem.

Where to find one, lol

There is a LOT more involved in an LSVTEC setup than just putting a vtec head onto an ls block. Read into the proper method. Without doing it properly, the reliability will not be there. Ive heard of a whole lot of lsvtec setups that have failed.

If you are patient enough, you can find a deal on a gsr swap. I'm selling an entire swap with ecu, linkage, etc for $2k.

Couldnt agree more. Sweet price btw. Id def go with a GSR. I have one with full exhaust and its very fun and extremely reliable as well. If you want boost for cheep id probly go with the ls.

I don't know the price difference between the two complete swaps, but here's my take.

Go with the LS. Use the money you save toward boosting the LS (can be done for about 1500-2000 if you piece stuff together yourself). A boosted Stock LS motor can make between 250-300whp (dependent on the tune). A stock GSR isn't going to make much more than that boosted and probably less torque. If you are building both and shooting for high numbers then take the GSR as it flows better and will hit higher numbers. For a stock boosted setup (if you wanted that) an LS would be my choice as it wouldn't cost a ton more than a straight GSR swap.

Although, depending on what trim you have I'd choice neither. If you have a civic with something like a D16z6 then you should just build the z6 with forged rods, vitara 75mm pistons, and ACL race bearings (all can be had for about $600) then spend $2000 on a turbo setup and you'd have a reliable 350whp for $2500 and a motor that can be replaced for $500 if the need ever arises.

Edited by CleanGSR