Timing Belt

teet

I have a 1992 Prelude. I am pretty sure the timing belt broke while driving about 40 mph. It is a F22A1 engine. Is that an interference engine? If so, is there any way the valves DID NOT get damaged. I am pretty sure I can change the timing belt but if the valves are damaged I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

I have a 1992 Prelude. I am pretty sure the timing belt broke while driving about 40 mph. It is a F22A1 engine. Is that an interference engine? If so, is there any way the valves DID NOT get damaged. I am pretty sure I can change the timing belt but if the valves are damaged I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Pull the head and check. Headgaskets and new bolts will be cheaper in the long run. Also would be a good time to upgrade to some ARP headstuds.

• 1 month later...

ive seen this happen many times now in B and D series engines and never once did it damage the head. throw a new belt on it first , see if it runs. dont you think thats cheaper kast? lol. and what the hell does he need headstuds for , lol.

they most likely did get damaged...i had a 91 eclipse 2.0 DOHC and the timing belt broke on me at about 40 MPH and every valve got screwed

Except the 4G63 is a heavy interference motor, so when a belt goes you're always going to toast the head.

ive seen this happen many times now in B and D series engines and never once did it damage the head. throw a new belt on it first , see if it runs. dont you think thats cheaper kast? lol. and what the hell does he need headstuds for , lol.

Sure, he could go that route as well, up to him really. I would pull the head and check, but I like doing this. And why not headstuds? Never have to buy head fasteners...ever again.

Archived