engine detail

Pballer2005

found this on a ford ranger forum that i watch. i wanted to share with other ppl. any thoughts from the detailing regs? you obviously need to cover the electronics properly and i feel a little leery using a pressure washer on a motor (messed up an alternator that way, even though i was standing about 5 feet back) i don't have a pressure washer anyways so i would probably just spray bottle the simple green on nice and thick.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=238559

another thing i would do instead of the armor all would be to use the Maguire's flat black plastic detailer rather than the super shiny stuff. i like it when the motor looks like it came from the dealer instead of the oily plastic look.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

tried this and here are the results, as well as the help of the mothers power ball mini with some mag polish on the valve cover. it worked really well and made it suprisingly shiny considering i didn't touch it with any sand paper.

P1010010.jpg

and the valve cover up close. the light doesn't do it justice. i'll take better pictures tomorrow after i finish detailing the interior.

P1010011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look too bad like it is now. I mean if you wanted to spice it up, go for the green. Random question, what spark plug wires are you using? I got new plug wires and uh. . . they don't fit like they did in the picture above, seems like they're too short.

• 1 month later...
I used my secret method. :) Only Mike and Mike know! Muahahaha.

Not that I care to know...cause I have a method that works well, but I've never understood this. This is an internet forum designed to help people yet you guys won't help explain to people your method for getting a clean engine bay???

Personally, I want to see as many people out there with clean engine bays, swirl free paint, etc.... so I give out any and all information that could be of help. I find the idea of keeping a "secret" such as engine details selfish and ridiculous personally.

Not that I care to know...cause I have a method that works well, but I've never understood this. This is an internet forum designed to help people yet you guys won't help explain to people your method for getting a clean engine bay???

Personally, I want to see as many people out there with clean engine bays, swirl free paint, etc.... so I give out any and all information that could be of help. I find the idea of keeping a "secret" such as engine details selfish and ridiculous personally.

+1 for Nate.

i told everyone my method and the pics are the results, and for such a simple detail it works great. since i've done the initial de-gunking i just have to hit everything up with the meguiars trim and interior detailer (the slightly shiny kind) and wipe up the excess with a rag. the meguiars stuff isn't as much of a dust magnet, and it really does help keep the plastic in a good condition. my radiator hoses were starting to show sings of age (that brittle feeling) and this stuff keeps it like new. and its only slick when you first put it on, once the plastic absorbs it, it gets more of that fresh new look.

yeah nates method is very similar in the sense that its a rinse, soak, rinse, dress method. i prefered the simple green because its not harmful to the paint/plastic parts of the car but breaks up dirt extremely well and i can get a descent sized bottle of it at the 99 cent store. i don't wax the painted areas though simply because i don't have small enough hands/arms to get into a lot of the spaces so the get sliced up when i try to force them in there, and blood is harder to clean up. the meguiars protects anything it sits on as well since it's acting as a barrier to the environment, and the combination of it and the simple green takes off a little bit of rust over time. the only area that i could justify polishing and sealing would be the under side of the hood since its such an obvious place.

Archived