1998 Accord v6 Catalytic Converter

sness88

So, my check engine light has been coming on for a few months and every time I check it is says 0420 catalytic converter. I keep clearing it and it just keeps coming back saying the same thing. I have about 167,000 miles on it now and I'm not sure if it's time to replace the thing or if it's just something wrong with the sensor.

I called the honda dealer and they said the freaking part would be $1000 which can't be right because I've seen them online for a couple hundred. I don't know what I should do to fix this problem. Should I just get my emissions tested and if I fail then replace it or what?

I think this whole thing sounds like a ripoff and I don't know what to do. I don't really have the spare money to fix it if that is the problem but my emissions testing is due in January. Any advice?

Get a magnaflow cat from ebay for like $100 and take it to a muffler shop. Shouldn't be more than $40 for the install.

edit: if yours is a V6, it may take 2 cats. I don't know. In any case, you can get a oem style magnaflow replacement. The big dual-tube ones for some cars range in price up to like $300-$400. Or, if you do need 2, you can get 2 universal ones and have them welded in.

Archived