Idle in Park problem

Jaredo7

I have a 90 accord ex with roughly 257K. it has some problems i know about like the crank pully, motor mount, and leaks practically everywhere. My problem however, is when i put the car into park the light on the dash around "P" wont come on and the idle will jump between 1000 and 1500 until the light comes on. I also cant take my key out because of the saftey lock and i have to sit there and jiggle the shifter until that light comes on before i turn my car off. Usually only does it on cold days. the colder the day the longer it takes. sometimes it doesnt do it at all and if i warm up my car it doesnt take as long for the p light to come on. so if anyone has any ideas to help me out it would be greatley appreciated.

As far as not going into park you can try one thing first. Here is the basic break down:

1. get the front end of the car up on stands

2. disconnect the transmission cable from the trany

3. pull boot back off the cable a LITTLE bit in order to expose the end of the cable where it enters the outer protective casing

4. pour some ATF fluid in there and go in the car and work the shifter back and forth

5. repeat step 4 a couple more times

6. reconnect the cable in the reverse order of removal

That should solve your issue with the car not going into park. As far as the rough idle, does it only do it if the car is not in park? If so, fix the cable issue first and see if it solves your idle problem. If not try cleaning the throtle plate manually with throtle body cleaner and spray some down the IAC port located on the inside of the throtle body. Those are the first places to start.

Hope this makes some sense.

As far as not going into park you can try one thing first. Here is the basic break down:

1. get the front end of the car up on stands

2. disconnect the transmission cable from the trany

3. pull boot back off the cable a LITTLE bit in order to expose the end of the cable where it enters the outer protective casing

4. pour some ATF fluid in there and go in the car and work the shifter back and forth

5. repeat step 4 a couple more times

6. reconnect the cable in the reverse order of removal

That should solve your issue with the car not going into park. As far as the rough idle, does it only do it if the car is not in park? If so, fix the cable issue first and see if it solves your idle problem. If not try cleaning the throtle plate manually with throtle body cleaner and spray some down the IAC port located on the inside of the throtle body. Those are the first places to start.

Hope this makes some sense.

I started with that IAC port first and the fast idle valve but that didnt help at all. basically the idle hunts when i shift to park and until the P light comes on on the instrument panel it doesnt stop. but i will have to try lubing the cable like u said. Do you know of any linkage under the shifter that may need to be tightened or anything like that?