96 Civic Quit running rain

QMT2

Can anybody tell me what possibley could be happening here. I have a Civic LX 96 and for a few years now "I know I know I listened to my Dad bitch at me all day about waiting and I am 33" the check engine light has been on. I took it somewhere a few years back and they told me it was a first cylinder miss fire. They said it could be a bad spark plug or bad wire. I of course did nothing about it :-( . Everytime it would rain the car would sputter like water was getting into something then it would clear up and run just fine until the next rain.

Well today I drove it to work and it sputtered more then before. I left work to run home for a minute and came back out and the car would not start. I called a co-worker and he took me to get Gas because I was basiclly on empty and thought it was because no gas. I was only able to get 2 gallons and poured it in and still nothing. I then bought spark plugs , wires, etc changed them and still nothing. You know how this goes everybody is a budding Mechanic but my co-worker said it sounds like either its not getting gas or there is no spark. So what could be causing this? Should I try to get more gas in the car, there is only like 2 gallons in the tank?

Distributor components are getting wet somehow.

Thanks for the replies!! I did buy a Distributor and rotor. I went to remove the bolts from the distributor I got 1 out 2nd one broke the head off and the 3rd one I can't get my fat hand in to reach it. 2 questions What is the proper size wrench to remove the bolts? 2 Will it affect anything if I don't replace the broken bolt?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I took my one and only car to this Mechanic close to were I live. I had it towed in last Saturday. He said he didn't know what the problem was. I told him what was told to me here. Sunday he said he was getting a Ignition coil to put in. I never heard from this clown so Tuesday I stop in and he said the igniton coil didn't work and he was getting a whole new distributor. He then tells me it will not be in until after Christmas!! Where he gets his parts must be in China for it to take that long. So today my family has had enough of waiting and driving me all around because I have to travel for my job. He then calls this afternoon saying that the Distributor didn't work and he doesn't know what is going on. He suggested the timming belt but he said he does not do timming belts!!!!?? I personally don't believe he did anything to the car but that is besides the point.

What else could be stopping my car from starting provided he did in fact change the distributor and igniton coil? Thanks!

Ok I took my one and only car to this Mechanic close to were I live. I had it towed in last Saturday. He said he didn't know what the problem was. I told him what was told to me here. Sunday he said he was getting a Ignition coil to put in. I never heard from this clown so Tuesday I stop in and he said the igniton coil didn't work and he was getting a whole new distributor. He then tells me it will not be in until after Christmas!! Where he gets his parts must be in China for it to take that long. So today my family has had enough of waiting and driving me all around because I have to travel for my job. He then calls this afternoon saying that the Distributor didn't work and he doesn't know what is going on. He suggested the timming belt but he said he does not do timming belts!!!!?? I personally don't believe he did anything to the car but that is besides the point.

What else could be stopping my car from starting provided he did in fact change the distributor and igniton coil? Thanks!

i would check his work, should have resolved the issue, issue most likely started with a crack in the dist. cap. had the same issue, shocked the hell outta myself!

Ok lesson learned!! I took my Car to another mechanic and the problem was the Ignition Coil even though the previous mechanic told me he changed the ignition coil then when he claims that did not work he claims he changed the whole dizzy!! guess he just lied to me They also changed the idle air and cleaned the throttle body

This is my one and only car and this jackazz lets it sit in his lot for 2 weeks without actually doing anything to it!! I take it to the mechanic who actually fixed it and I had it back the same day!.