Brake Pads Nightmare

BDub

So a few weeks ago, I did a few maintenance things to my 99 Civic EX(or is it?). Change the oil, fluids, and so forth. I also changed the brake pads. Since I am new to the whole car mods thing, a good friend of mine helped me (by that I mean, he showed me how to do all of it). He used to race sprint cars, and was a head mechanic for a Honda dealership. In other words, he knows just about everything you could ever want to know about Honda. Everything was going fine until we installed the brake pads. We went to the store (no name dropping), and bought the exact size ceramics we needed for a 99 civic EX. However, they would not fit. We had to file down the pads to get them to fit properly, leading to my friend explaining that in the hundreds of times he has done this, this was the first time they never fit.

In the end, he had a hunch- that my car was perhaps, not an EX. I bought it used from a girl who went to the shop for every little problem, and did everything they asked her to. She had bought it brand new from the dealership. According to the title, and the badge, it is an EX. However, the engine appears to not match (when it stops snowing, I'll go check the engine number, I can't remember it) what an EX should be. It does not say VTEC, and according to my friend, he can't feel the VTEC kick in.

So, what I'm getting at is, how can I check to see if it is in fact an EX, or did the dealership not only f**k me over, but the girl as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-BDub

someone else should know but i believe there is a part of the VIN # that shoudl tell you, since you are not sure of the motors origin. although i don't feel any surge of power from vtec (or any surge of power for that matter). check the engine block for a stamp that says D16Y8 on the passenger side, just a little below the header and the the side.

So... your friend knows "everything you could ever want to know about Honda", but relies on VTEC being written on a valve cover and/or "feeling it kick in" to know if it's there? Between this and the other new guy's friend...

If you have access to a digital camera, take a few shots of your engine bay. As another user already mentioned, check the stamp on your block as well.

So... your friend knows "everything you could ever want to know about Honda", but relies on VTEC being written on a valve cover and/or "feeling it kick in" to know if it's there? Between this and the other new guy's friend...

If you have access to a digital camera, take a few shots of your engine bay. As another user already mentioned, check the stamp on your block as well.

When the weather is better, I'll do that. And I didn't mean thats the only thing he uses, that was just a quick glance and we really haven't looked into it, because I've been at school. All that did was begin the discussion. When I get home this week, I'll have him actually look into it. Like I said, it just raised our curiosity. But yeah, I'll get those pics probably tmrw

I had to spend 3 hours in Autozone looking for the right size brake pads when i changed them on my '93 EX. Had to open every box until i found the ones that were the same as the old pads. (Of course i did have a b18b swapped)

When the weather is better, I'll do that. And I didn't mean thats the only thing he uses, that was just a quick glance and we really haven't looked into it, because I've been at school. All that did was begin the discussion. When I get home this week, I'll have him actually look into it. Like I said, it just raised our curiosity. But yeah, I'll get those pics probably tmrw

Not to dog on your friend, but if he was a decent mechanic, he could have looked to see if there was a VTEC solenoid on the head quicker than he could have looked for the engine code or gone for a drive to see if he could "feel" it. The VTEC solenoid is in plain sight when you pop the hood.....I would think he would have known that being a honda mechanic.

If the titlel says EX, I don't know how it could not be an EX. DOR doesn't just go adding stuff (like EX) to titles that don't have it because they feel giddy.

I checked the engine, and yes, it does have solenoid. I came to the conclusion that at some point, she got new wheels put on the car, yet that still does not explain why the brake pads didn't fit, besides just plain bad luck. The thing is, I thought EXs came with actual rims, but my car has hubcaps. I'll check all the maintenance history (believe me, she had all of it in date order and everything, pretty kick ass) to see if the wheels were ever changed. Would that makes sense why the brakes would not fit (both of them)? or should it not matter what wheels have on? thanks a lot for the help!

I checked the engine, and yes, it does have solenoid. I came to the conclusion that at some point, she got new wheels put on the car, yet that still does not explain why the brake pads didn't fit, besides just plain bad luck. The thing is, I thought EXs came with actual rims, but my car has hubcaps. I'll check all the maintenance history (believe me, she had all of it in date order and everything, pretty kick ass) to see if the wheels were ever changed. Would that makes sense why the brakes would not fit (both of them)? or should it not matter what wheels have on? thanks a lot for the help!

Wheels don't matter at all when changing break pads. If the car had 20's or 13's, the brake pads would be the same and fit the same.

Not to dog on your friend, but if he was a decent mechanic, he could have looked to see if there was a VTEC solenoid on the head quicker than he could have looked for the engine code or gone for a drive to see if he could "feel" it. The VTEC solenoid is in plain sight when you pop the hood.....I would think he would have known that being a honda mechanic.

Exactly my point. Also, someone who "knows all" about Hondas should not only know to look for the solenoid, but should be well aware that not all valve covers had vtec written on them.

I'd imagine you simply picked up the wrong pads after all.

I understand what you guys mean, but like I said, we never really looked into it. He was mostly concerned with the fact that we had to shave the brake pads down, which had never happened to him. I think thats what happened- the guy at autozone gave us the wrong pads. thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm just glad I can put to rest my fears that the girl sold me not an EX. Now I can't wait to get back home and get back to working on my car. I'm probably going to do a new exhaust next. Any other cheap ideas (not that an exhaust is cheap).

What surface of the pads did you have to sand for them to fit?

the black material (i think metal) on top of the ceramic that clips on/in. It was where it makes the like 90 degree indent in the corners on both ends of the pad. It looked like a poor mold or something when it was manufactured

its possible that they were the right ones. ive noticed that since the economy has been going down hill that alot of the quality control of products has been really crapty. not saying this is what went down, but i have seen it.

they probably just gave you the wrong pads, for like a DX or something, their just slightly bigger on the backing. advance gave me ex pads and they were really loose in my calipers and had to get the right ones.

You shouldn't have to change brakes on any motor swap, we are putting an H22 in my friends EG hatch and we are leaving the brakes alone, we are just getting the mounts and axles from hasport.

they probably just gave you the wrong pads, for like a DX or something, their just slightly bigger on the backing. advance gave me ex pads and they were really loose in my calipers and had to get the right ones.

You shouldn't have to change brakes on any motor swap, we are putting an H22 in my friends EG hatch and we are leaving the brakes alone, we are just getting the mounts and axles from hasport.

oh.. cool i was just curious... thanks

Archived